Weekly Wildcat Playlist: Back to school

Lindsey Otto

Wildcats, it’s that time of year again. Sorting through classes, scanning the syllabus, ordering textbooks — all to get back into the swing of things for the semester’s beginning. The Daily Wildcat has assembled a playlist aimed to help you kick off the semester with some inspiration and motivation. Best of luck to all this semester!

1. “Gonna Fly Now (Theme from “Rocky”)” by Bill Conti; lyrics by Carol Connors, Ayn Robbins and Bill Conti

This song exudes motivation and inspiration with its uplifting tune and lyrics. We’re all going to be “trying hard” this semester to get the grades and internships we need and to do well in both our professional and personal lives. This theme inspired Rocky Balboa many times, from running up the Philadelphia Museum of Art stairs to bouncing back after his fights. May this theme spur you to start the semester off right with a kick of encouragement to do well and overcome whatever obstacles you may be facing.

via GIPHY

2. “Carry On Wayward Son” by Kansas

“Carry on my wayward son / There’ll be peace when you are done / Lay your weary head to rest / Don’t you cry no more.” The opening lyrics for this famous song are immediately relatable for anyone going through a rough period in their life. Lead singers Steve Walsh and Robby Steinhardt couldn’t have begun this classic rock song on a brighter note. Fun fact: This song is also an unofficial theme song for the massive hit television show, “Supernatural.” Carry on, Wildcats. There’ll be peace when you are done.

via GIPHY

RELATED: Weekly Wildcat playlist: Old hits revived as new covers

3. “(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party)” by Beastie Boys

After the first couple of weeks of class, in which we get the hang of our schedules and get a rhythm going, it gets a bit easier to find the time to have some fun in the midst of our busy lives. It’s a struggle finding an even balance, but as lead singer Adam Yauch reminds us, “You gotta fight for your right to party.”

via GIPHY

4. “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” by Judy Garland

Sometimes life is about finding rainbows in the midst of the rain. You don’t have to be transported to the land of Oz to find that “the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.” Your hard work goes toward your life and your goals, Wildcats. Never stop dreaming.

via GIPHY

5. “Dream On” by Aerosmith

“Dream until your dreams come true.” Steven Tyler has got the right mentality. The lyrics speak of reality, but the tone reinforces the positivity of it. College is a stepping stone to achieving your dreams (“everybody’s got the dues in life to pay”), and sometimes there’s so much on your plate that you can’t conquer everything at once (“you got to lose to know how to win”). Yet, this shouldn’t discourage you from remembering why you’re doing what you’re doing.

via GIPHY

6. “Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor

This song is the epitome of pushing onward and upward through life’s barriers. We’re “back on the street” and “rising up to the challenge.” College provides some of the most memorable times of our lives; adopt the “eye of the tiger” and relish “the thrill of the fight!”

via GIPHY

RELATED: Weekly Wildcat Playlist: The best of rock and rap

7. “Beautiful Day” by U2

This song is bittersweet because it’s about making the best of a bad day, even a bad time, in one’s life. Bono’s voice rings in your mind, picking you up even when you feel at your worst. We all have days like this, especially while in college when we constantly feel pressure and fear failure. No one is a “hopeless case,” so take in your “beautiful day” and “don’t let it get away.”

via GIPHY

8. “Into the Great Wide Open” by Tom Petty And the Heartbreakers

Tom Petty’s story of a young man following his dreams and finding success is the kind of enriching music we all need to hear. We’re at the time of our lives where we’re discovering who we are and what we want to do as we start out and begin our journeys. “The sky was the limit” and “the future was wide open” for Eddie, the song’s protagonist. The same thing goes for us, Wildcats. May we all be rebels “without a clue.”

via GIPHY

9. “It’s My Life” by Bon Jovi

Bon Jovi’s song encourages listeners to take the reigns of their lives and make it what they want. In particular, the line “I just want to live while I’m alive” stands out on this track. Do things for your family, your friends, but don’t forget, it’s your life and you’ve got to do things for yourself, too. Whether it’s buying a dinner that doesn’t come from a box, changing majors or standing up for what you believe in, simply live your life, for it’s a great feeling to be alive.

via GIPHY

10. “What A Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong

Louis Armstrong reminds us to appreciate the beauty of the world and its people. Part of the reason why we go to college is to go on to be better people and to contribute something to the world so as to continue to make it a better place. Stop and smell the roses, see “trees of green” and remember we all live in “a wonderful world.”

via GIPHY

Each of these songs are great choices for an inspirational, motivational playlist you can listen to time and again throughout the year. Work hard and have fun. Here’s to a great year, Wildcats.

Follow The Daily Wildcat on Twitter