Step away from the Starbucks

Jen Valenzuela, a graduate history student, relaxes with a cup of coffee at Caff

If you’re sick of Starbucks, want to go local or just need some variety to spice up your coffee life, you’ve come to the right place. While no café is going to offer a large latte for less than three or four bucks, knowing where to go means getting what you want with your money.

Ever wonder why people ask for no foam? It’s because at most cafés the foam sucks. Good foam is hard to find. Just a skip away at 745 N. Fourth Ave., Epic Café is here to solve your foam dilemmas. In addition to full meals, some of the best vegan desserts in Tucson and interesting company, Epic has possibly the best foam in town. Go with a latte and you will not be disappointed.

Iced lattes more your style? Stop by Espresso Art, 944 E. University Blvd. They craft a lovely iced latte that’s just strong enough for you to savor the espresso but just milky enough to be enjoyed cold.

Fresh roasted coffee get you buzzing? CaffÇù Luce roasts its own coffee. Conveniently located at North Park Avenue and East University Boulevard next to Jamba Juice, the location is perfect for college students who love richly flavorful roasts. This café is one of very few in town that roasts its own beans. And if you’re feeling dirty, check out the dirty chai. This concoction of espresso and chai is an interesting serenade of flavors definitely worth trying.

If you’re looking for a full service coffee bar that offers groceries, toiletries, booze and more, then Wilko is the place for you. Offering fresh coffee and espresso along with freshly squeezed orange juice to die for, Wilko has found its niche on the northwest corner of South Park Avenue and East University Boulevard. Staffed almost entirely by students, Wilko has a surprisingly nice cup of joe and strong espresso to be savored.

Bentley’s House of Coffee and Tea is a hot spot for students at 1730 E. Speedway Blvd. Although their vegan baked goods rival those of Epic Café, the coffee isn’t too amazing. Bentley’s rarely seems to have a fresh pot brewing, and while their espresso is decent, it doesn’t offer much in the area of caffeinated beverages to write home about. With free Wi-Fi, good food and decent coffee, those with less discerning palates will find Bentley’s a nice study spot.

Willing to wander a little? Check out Raging Sage near East Grant Road and North Campbell Avenue. This café is a temptress with its freshly baked goods and great coffee. The no cell phone policy is a nice relief. Raging Sage also offers a fantastic brownie that makes the trip well worth it.