Another UA student detained for using sidewalk chalk to protest

Francis+the+Poet+uses+chalk+to+write+a+poem+by+the+Speedway+Boulevard+underpass+at+1+a.m.+Friday.+Francis+the+Poet+writes+poems+by+other+authors+as+well+as+some+originals+to+provoke+thoughts+in+passersby.+
Francis the Poet uses chalk to write a poem by the Speedway Boulevard underpass at 1 a.m. Friday. Francis the Poet writes poems by other authors as well as some originals to provoke thoughts in passersby.

12:16 p.m. — The UAPD cited another student this morning for using sidewalk chalk.

UAPD detained Evan Lisull, author of the blog Desertlamp.com and former Daily Wildcat columnist, for criminal damage at 6:45 a.m. Monday morning, according to police records.

Lisull said he was writing with chalk in support of Jacob Miller, the graduate student arrested for chalking during Thursday’s protest outside the Administration Building.

The words, written outside the Chavez and Harvill buildings, along with several other places on campus, read “”Chalk is speech,”” and “”Freedom of expression,”” Lisull said.

Sgt. Juan Alvarez, the UAPD spokesman, said Lisull was charged with one count of class one misdemeanor, carrying a maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $2,500 fine.

Lisull said he wrote campus sidewalks, and not on any buildings or structures, “”to address the issue of Mr. Miller’s charges.””

“”This is a very distinct civil liberties issue,”” he said. “”Regardless of how you think of the budget, you should be very concerned about this type of crackdown.

Stay with DailyWildcat for updates.