W-Hoops drops 3rd straight

The Arizona women’s basketball team’s losing streak extended to three games after falling to Louisiana Tech 68-53 on Saturday afternoon.

The Wildcats (3-4) fell short of their comeback attempt in the second half. With just 7:43 to play, Arizona cut the Lady Techsters’ lead to just four points.

Sophomore Brietta Thomas put the game away, igniting Louisiana Tech’s offense with an integral three-point shot that led to an 11-0 run in the second half.

“”When Arizona cut the lead, we held our poise,”” said Louisiana Tech head coach Chris Long. “”The bench was into it and that’s what it took to beat a good Arizona team.””

The loss came despite impressive performances from sophomore Ify Ibekwe, who tallied her third double-double of the season, and freshmen Courtney Clements, who started for the first time in her Arizona career.

Clements played in her third game since returning from a preseason leg injury and ended the game with 21 points and 8 rebounds, making her Arizona’s leading scorer.

Similarly to their last two losses, the Wildcats continued to struggle offensively. They shot only 22.9 percent from the field in the first half, and only 31.3 percent in

the game.

The Lady Techsters (3-4) built a ten-point halftime lead, even though they played without their leading scorer and rebounder Shanavia Dowdell who suffered a concussion in Louisiana Tech’s game against Mississippi State on Dec. 3.

Louisiana Tech matched Arizona’s intensity in the second half and had an answer for every Arizona playing tactic. Louisiana Tech’s bench played a large part in their victory, giving the Lady Techsters the answer to Arizona’s late surge.

They had three players in double figures in points – Adrienne Johnson (21), Whitney Jones (17) and Thomas (19), whose offensive production stifled Arizona’s attempt at upsetting Louisiana Tech in the second half.

Arizona returns home for its game against the University of San Diego Dec. 11 at 7 p.m. in McKale Center.