‘The Invisible’ stays true to title

“”The Invisible”” is hoping that despite its title, the actual content won’t be so invisible. The producers may have succeeded in making the movie visible by barraging your TV with commercials for the film, which were pretty hard to ignore. Too bad the full content can’t ensure its longevity.

Ever have one of those bad dreams that makes you wake up in a cold sweat? Imagine one where you’re at your graduation party, everyone you love surrounds you, but instead you walk off to your basement and commit suicide. It’s just a small bit of gloomy foreboding for Nick Powell (Justin Chatwin) that something is about to go wrong. Nick is the golden boy at high school, who is a brilliant English student and plans to head to London for a summer writing program to help foster his poetic creativity.

This plan gets cut short when a troubled girl from school (Margarita Levieva) kills him because she thinks he ratted her out for stealing jewelry. What’s the first step of death? Anger. Nick haunts his mother, friends and killer to berate them for letting him die and for not caring enough. Then, when he watches a bird in the same situation as him, he realizes he’s not actually dead – yet. His spirit is just having an out-of-body experience while he’s critically wounded. This means Nick has to spring into action and force someone to drag his body into the open so he can be saved.

You sometimes have to be willing to suspend reality when you watch movies. Occasionally it works, other times it doesn’t. When “”The Lake House”” tried to build a relationship that bridged a time gap, it didn’t work. “”Big”” worked, although Tom Hanks magically became 30. “”The Invisible,”” sadly, is one of those films where you can’t get past the supposed “”creative”” elements. It seems completely unrealistic; it goes unexplained how it is even possible for Nick’s spirit to be out of his body and walking around while he’s still technically alive. That criticism isn’t even mentioning the fact that despite getting beaten to a bloody pulp and having no pulse, he managed to live and stay alive for many days while his spirit wandered around.

The Invisible
    PG-13
    97 min
    Hollywood Pictures
    6/10