Cross-country teams flop at West Regionals

The Arizona men’s and women’s cross-country teams competed at the NCAA West Regional on Friday in Palo Alto, Calif. The women finished in 10th place while the men came in 14th.

The top two teams for the men’s and women’s sides qualified for the NCAA Championships next week. The top four individuals not on qualifying teams qualified as well if they also finished in the top 25.

The meet, therefore, effectively ended the Wildcats’ season, as the team did not place a runner in the top 25.

Arizona was a long shot going into the West Regional, one of the toughest in the nation. A number of ranked programs competed, most of them from the Pac-12 Conference.

For the women, Molly Callahan was the top-place finisher in the 6,000-meter race at 39th overall with a time of 21:13.8. Next to cross the finish line was Clea Formaz, who came in 44th with a 21:18.7 time. Kristina Aubert finished shortly after at 21:29, in 58th place overall.

Rounding out the women’s scorers were Amanda Russell, who came in 68th place at 21:39.9, and Stephanie Bulder, who ran a 22:09.8 time in her last race, good enough for 103rd overall.

Also competing for the women were Hanna Peterson and Kate Penney, who finished 106th and 132nd, respectively.

Oregon took first place on the women’s side with 88 points, while Boise State came in second with 103. In comparison, the UA women tallied 310 points.

On the men’s side, Collins Kibet was the first Wildcat to finish in the 10,000 race, coming in 35th place with a time of 30:15.1. Sam Macaluso was next with a 70th overall finish at 30:53.4.

Kenji Bierig crossed the line seconds after at 30:57.4, good for 73rd place overall. Patrick Leary finished in 91st place at 31:15.9, and Matthew Beer rounded out the men’s scorers with a time of 31:36.5 to take 117th place.

Oregon also took home first place for the men, tallying 60 points. Portland State was a close second with 71 points, and Stanford took third with 97. Arizona tallied 384 points.

While an NCAA subcommittee will choose 13 teams and two individuals from each side to compete in the championships, it is unlikely that the UA will be given an at-large bid, considering both teams’ overall weak resumes.

_______________

Follow Ezra Amacher on Twitter.