Elite UA women’s golf commit turns pro

April 14 is a day Arizona women’s golf head coach Greg Allen said he would never forget.

It was the day Esther Choe- one of the nation’s most coveted female golf recruits- called him and broke the news that she would forgo her eligibility at Arizona to turn pro.

“”I will never forget the day,”” Allen said. “”As far as the best recruits in the history of Arizona golf, she was probably at the top of the list.””

Allen added that Choe’s resume may have been just as impressive as former Wildcats Lorena Ochoa’s or Annika Sorenstam’s.

Choe, a two-time Class 4A Division II state champion at Cave Creek Cactus Shadows High School, signed a letter-of-intent with Arizona last fall and was expected to join the squad in August for the 2007-2008 campaign.

As the reigning American Junior Golf Association Player of the Year, Allen said the loss of Choe “”is the type of thing that could take a toll on the program.””

“”The timing couldn’t have been worse,”” Allen said. “”It is a shame because we aren’t only losing out on Esther, but we had to stop recruiting four or five players last September and October that would have helped us because we didn’t have scholarship money for them.””

Choe came to the decision to turn pro briefly after competing in the Kraft Nabisco Championship on April 1, one of the four major women’s golf tournaments on the LPGA tour.

“”I think someone got in her ear and her mom and dad’s ear,”” Allen said. “”Somebody probably told her it was best to turn pro.””

19th hole

The No. 14 Wildcats began the NCAA Championships Tuesday. After the first day of competition, Arizona is sitting in 12th place after shooting a team total 16-over-par 304.