50 Shades of Grey

Focus Features

“Fifty Shades of Grey” focuses on the BDSM relationship between Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey and will be played in theaters across Tucson during Valentine’s Day weekend.

The highly anticipated Valentine’s Day premiere of “Fifty Shades of Grey” has students flocking to local theaters to reserve seats.

Road House Cinemas, a local dine-in movie theater, has already sold out all 3,100 of its tickets and has a special called “Fifty Shades of Delicious” for their menu that includes wine and is part of their $50 Valentine’s Day couples’ special. Other local theaters are selling pre-sale tickets as well.

According to Fandango, this movie is the quickest selling R-rated movie in more than a decade. Business Insider said the book has sold 70 million copies in the U.S. alone.

“It’s supposed to be the best one of the year,” said Alizianna La Purco, event coordinator and manager at Road House Cinemas. “We have had people calling since last month, so we put up our shows about two weeks ago. So, everyone was able to purchase tickets … in advance — and two weeks ago is when we sold out. That’s why we had to add more shows on Tuesday, and those ones are all sold out now.”

Road House Cinemas are showing the movie 11 times a day in their two biggest theaters, with 70 seats each.

What seems to be attracting people to this movie is the main character, Anastasia Steele. Katherine Montgomery, a senior studying philosophy, politics, economics and law, said that the main character is much like Bella from “Twilight.” She doesn’t really have a personality, so you can insert yourself into the story, Montgomery said.

Century 20 El Con Mall isn’t expecting many people to see the movie on Valentine’s Day. El Con managers said that they don’t believe many people will show up on Valentine’s Day, because most people want to see it the Thursday it premieres.

Special or no special, students are still going to see the movie.

“I have a friend, and she bought her ticket for the midnight premiere on Thursday for a pre-sale at El Con,” Montgomery said, “and she is buying my ticket as well.”

_______________

Follow Preston Brooks on Twitter.