OPINION: Campus spotlight: Free weekly Comedy Corner show

A group photo of Comedy Corner senior and co-director members Vinamra Kumar, Doug Adam Hauck, and J Grigory (pictured left to right) make up the back row. 

Stuck in the midweek slump? Need a pick-me-up? Grab your friends and check out the free weekly Comedy Corner shows every Wednesday night at 8:30 p.m. in the Modern Languages building Room 350.

Reem Farhat is a sophomore studying film and television and a member of the club.

“It’s like a perfect midweek reset; a midweek laugh,” Farhat said. “Comedy Corner is especially special because nothing we do is for one type of person. We come from all sorts of majors and the comedy appeals to everyone.”

Last week I had the opportunity to attend one of Comedy Corner’s many practice sessions. I was expecting to sit back and observe, but I was immediately beckoned on stage and made a temporary member of the group. They then created an entire skit about the happenings of my day right before my eyes.

The members were extremely friendly and welcoming — it was evident how much they enjoy what they do. I was warmed by how supportive they were of one another for stepping out of their comfort zones. Nothing at the weekly shows is planned or staged, instead featuring improv comedy.

J Grigory, a senior studying molecular and cellular biology and co-director of Comedy Corner, gave a rundown of what improv is.

“The short synopsis that we give people is that it’s acting without a script,” Grigory said. “We are going to put on a play for an audience, but we don’t know what the play is yet. And neither does the audience. And we’re going to figure it out with their help.”

One of the key features of the weekly shows is interactivity. During the skits, such as Quick Edit, New Choice and Talk Show Advice, the audience members have a chance to participate by yelling out suggestions.

All of the members employ a variety of comedy techniques, including fake accents, strong emotions and even physical stunts.

I cannot agree more with the president and other co-director of the group Doug Adam Hauck, a senior studying industrial engineering when he said that Comedy Corner is a “break from the real world.”

I was surprised by how clever, interactive and relatable the mini-show that they put on for me was. I left wanting more!

To keep things fresh, the weekly shows incorporate a different theme, such as holidays, “The Bachelor” and silly wigs. Some of these themes are appropriately tradition-based, considering Comedy Corner is the nation’s longest-running collegiate comedy show operating since 1979.

If you are interested in becoming a new member of Comedy Corner, auditions are held at the beginning of every semester. Those who audition do not need to have anything prepared beforehand.

“Don’t worry if you’ve never done improv before. We guide you through it. It’s not as scary as it looks. It’s just being yourself. You are entering a really fun group of people. And to me, it added a whole other element to my college career,” Hauck said.

Gabe Berkey, a sophomore studying business and a new member of the club, captures it best, “It’s a free thing to do on Wednesday nights, and we are funny.”

Comedy Corner is bare-boned comedy at its very best — simply a group of funny people and a stage that does not require anything else to let the humor shine. The weekly shows are a hidden escape found right on campus.

Follow Comedy Corner on Instagram @comedycornerua and Twitter @comedycorner for show updates and other news.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter