Renovations coming to Arizona athletic facilities

Arizona Athletics

Click here to read more content from our 2018 Orientation Guide!  

After the completion of the 2018 sports season, Arizona will begin renovations on athletic facilities. These renovations will include changes to Arizona Stadium, Hillenbrand Stadium, Hillenbrand Aquatic Center and McKale Center. In addition, an indoor sports center will be built across the street from the current Arizona Stadium.

The Arizona Board of Regents approved Director of Athletics Dave Heeke’s $66 million Capital Improvement Plan to upgrade UA’s sports facilities in September 2017. All of the renovations are expected to be completed by January 2019, just in time for the next spring season of Arizona sports.

“The first shot out of the box that we want to make sure that people recognize is that we’re doing things that directly benefit the student,” said Steve Kozachik, associate director of athletics, facilities and capital projects at UA, in a press release.

The first set of renovations to the Arizona Stadium include upgrades to the lower-east concourse and to the ZonaZoo section. These renovations include new restrooms and concession facilities and also upgrading access points on different ends of the stadium. The renovations are expected to be completed just in time for the home opener on Sept. 1, 2018 against BYU.

Hillenbrand Stadium, home to Arizona softball, will start its renovations once the ‘Cats end their 2018 season. 

The changes will include upgrades to the press box and seating area behind home plate. The stadium opened in 1993 and its last renovations were in 2006. 

The previous renovations included a padded outfield wall, weather-resistant surface, new video board and outfield bleachers. The current $8 million project is expected to be completed by the start of the 2019 season.

Hillenbrand Aquatic Center started its $15 million renovations on April 1, 2018 and they should be completed by January 2019. These changes include changing the current 50-meter pool to a 65-meter pool, adding four more 25-yard short course lanes (from 18 to 22), and upgrading the current pump and plumbing infrastructure in the facility.

McKale Center will undergo $1.5 million in renovations, including an upgraded lower concourse area and new locker rooms for a variety of sports, including men’s golf, soccer, men’s tennis and women’s track and field.

The renovation process started earlier this year in March, and is expected to be completed by Aug. 15, 2018, just before the start of the 2018-2019 academic year.

Construction of the new indoor sports complex began in April 2018, with an expected completion of December 2018. The $18 million complex will include a 90-yard field with a 10-yard end zone and a climate-controlled space for enhanced training and conditioning. The complex will stretch from Sixth Street to the Ginny L. Clements Academic Center.

Follow Amit Syal on Twitter