Tie goes to UA softball

Caitlin Lowe
    Caitlin Lowe

The No. 4 Arizona softball team wrapped up an eventful weekend with a bizarre 12-inning tie at Stanford yesterday afternoon.

UA pitcher Taryne Mowatt and her Stanford counterpart Missy Penna locked horns in a marathon pitcher’s duel as both hurlers shut out the opposing offense for all 12 innings.

The game was called off after the 12th frame due to travel plans. The Wildcats (35-10, 11-3 Pacific 10 Conference) had to leave for the airport to catch their flight back to Tucson.

“”(Yesterday) I can’t complain, both teams played well,”” UA head coach Mike Candrea said. “”We played good defense, andTaryne pitched well enough to win.””

Mowatt’s final line read: 12 innings pitched, three hits, 10 walks and 13 strikeouts. She threw 207 pitches in the contest.

Record Breaking

UA center fielder Caitlin Lowe stole two more bases in three games this weekend, breaking Alison McCutcheon’s record, and
    giving her 150 for her career.

? Lowe has 43 steals in 43 attempts, third most steals in NCAA history without being caught
    ? Her 150 steals put her 12th in NCAA history

“”We had opportunities just about every inning but we just couldn””t put hits together,”” Candrea said.

Penna was Mowatt’s equal, allowing 10 hits while walking three and adding 11 strikeouts on 180 pitches.

UA center fielder Caitlin Lowe, who became the school’s career leader in stolen bases two days earlier against California, paced the Wildcat offense with three hits in six at-bats.

She also swiped her 150th career base, putting her two ahead of Alison McCutcheon for first place on Arizona’s list and 12th all-time in NCAA history.

Four Wildcats had at least two hits as Arizona recorded 10 base knocks to Stanford’s (31-14, 6-8) three, but failed to score a single run in the contest.

On Saturday Arizona fell to Stanford 3-2 despite Mowatt taking a no-hitter into the fifth inning.

The Wildcats broke a scoreless tie in the fifth inning with a pair of runs, at which point Mowatt had been cruising. But the Cardinal rallied for three runs off Mowatt in their half of the fifth and the Wildcats didn’t answer back.

Friday, Arizona defeated California 6-0 in Berkeley, Calif., as Lowe became the school’s all-time career leader in stolen bases with her first-inning theft of second base.

“”Typical road trip, we scored runs and played pretty well against Cal but then came out uninspired on Saturday,”” Candrea said.

Lowe also went 2-for-4 at the plate with two RBIs in addition to her stolen base. She has now been successful on all 43 of her stolen-base attempts this season, the third most stolen bases without being caught in NCAA history.

Mowatt struck out 10 while recording her 10th complete-game shutout of the season.

Third baseman Jenae Leles, playing close to her hometown of Fair Oaks, Calif., hit her seventh home run of the season in the second inning, matching her total for all of last year.