“Yea, nay or OK?”

Wildcats scoringest team in Pacific 10 Conference

The Arizona men’s basketball team now holds the longest Pac-10 winning streak of any team in the conference. They nabbed that distinction in style with an inspiring comeback win Thursday night. After an impressive start, the Wildcats slumped at first in the second half, before a pounding finish that ended with an 83-76 victory over USC. It’s been a turbulent year for the team, and interim coach Russ Pennell deserves kudos for keeping them going strong. But most of the credit goes to the players themselves, for refusing to give up even when the going got tough.

The Wildcats get a grateful yea for brightening up our week.

Strictly for the beards

We’re not superstitious, but we have to wonder: Could the team’s increasingly noticeable facial hair have anything to do with their winning streak? “”I could tell you,”” Pennell told us with a grin, “”but I’d have to kill you.”” The team isn’t telling, but when something works, run with it. The question is, will the team’s fans be willing to throw away their razors and shaving cream to show their solidarity? Hey, if it means a continuing winning streak, we’re all for it.

The Wildcats’ scruffy but stylish beards get a nod, a wink, and a yea.

It’s a long way till Spring Break

Today’s a holiday, but not for us. The fact that we don’t get Presidents Day off doesn’t irk us so much as the fact that we’re in the middle of the biggest unbroken school run of the year. From Martin Luther King Jr. Day to the start of Spring Break, we’re here for two months straight without a single day off. That doesn’t just spell added stress for students and teachers, it spells a lot of extra money spent keeping the campus open and running. With the state’s crushing budget cuts a certainty, and so much discussion of faculty furloughs, why don’t the powers that be dream up an extra holiday or two? Think of the money we’d save, for one thing. What student government leader will be bold enough to suggest it?

The ultimate school stretch gets a nay.

Obama breaks major campaign promise

You knew it had to happen sooner or later: Barack Obama finally managed to break one of his campaign promises. “”When there’s a bill that ends up on my desk as president, you the public will have five days to look online and find out what’s in it before I sign it, so that you know what your government’s doing.”” That’s what he said back in 2007, and his campaign site later confirmed that the promise would be taken seriously. The stimulus bill went on the White House Web site Friday, and the president is set to sign it Tuesday – after only four days. This might sound like a minor failing, but just because Obama set himself admirably high standards doesn’t mean we’re not going to hold him to them. Government transparency is one of the few things liberals and conservatives can generally agree on, and it’s one of the promises Obama made that resonated most with disillusioned voters. Letting that ideal lapse for the sake of getting a bill – even an important bill – out the door faster just isn’t worth it.

The Obama administration gets a nay for going slack on transparency.

Editorials are determined by the Daily Wildcat opinions board and written by one of its members. They are Cody Calamaio, Justyn Dillingham, Taylor Kessinger, Heather Price-Wright, and Nickolas Seibel.