Police Beat

Man at party punches police officer

Police shut down a party after receiving multiple noise complaints Feb. 27 at 11:45 p.m.

Police responded to the Delta Tau Delta fraternity house at 9:55 p.m. after receiving a call about the noise coming from the house. Police made contact with security because there were no members of the house near the doors. They told the security guards that the music needed to be turned down or they would shut down the party. The volume of the music was lowered, so police left.

At 11 p.m. Tucson Police Department received a call about the noise coming from the house. University of Arizona Police Department responded to the house again and told the security staff that if they received another complaint they would shut down the party.

At 11:35 p.m., UAPD received another noise complaint. They drove by the house and did not hear any noise. An officer called the woman who made the complaint. She said that the music had been shut down right before the officer called her. While they were on the phone, the music was turned on again and was loud enough for the officer to hear three blocks away.

As the officer parked his car near the fraternity house, a man came up to him and said there had been a fight inside and a man was bleeding from the head. Another officer came to the scene to handle the fight call.

While he was walking back to his car, three beer cans were thrown at the officer’s car from the second floor balcony. None of the cans hit the car. The officer made the decision to shut down the party and advised security that the party was over and guests needed to leave.

The president of the fraternity came outside to speak with the officer. As the officer was explaining his reason for shutting down the party, another man, who was not in the fraternity, approached the officer and began clapping his hands.

The officer told the man to stop clapping, but the man continued clapping and yelling profanities at the officer. The officer told the man the party was over and he needed to leave, but the man continued walking toward the officer, clapping and yelling at the officer because he “”ruined the party.”” The officer took a step toward the man and asked him to leave. The man took a fighting stance and raised his hands with his fists closed towards the officer. The man attempted to hit the officer with is left hand, which the officer took hold of. The man then struck the officer in the mouth with his right hand. The officer pulled the man away from the crowd and took him to the ground.

The man was told he was under arrest. He continued to struggle with the officer while on the ground, trying to grab the officer’s legs and arms.

Another officer came to assist, and they were able to get the man in handcuffs. He was arrested on a felony charge of aggravated assault on a peace officer and resisting arrest. He was taken to the Pima County Jail and booked on the charges.

A Greek Life representative was notified about the party.

Intoxicated minor falls asleep in stranger’s bed

A man was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol Feb. 27 at 9:05 a.m.

Police responded to the Coronado dorm in reference to a man who walked into a girl’s room and fell asleep in her bed.

The man, who the woman did not know, entered the woman’s room, smiled at her, got into her bed and fell asleep. The woman was sitting at her desk putting on makeup.

After talking with the man, police discovered that he was staying in another room in the hall. The man had gone to use the community bathroom down the hallway and when he was finished, he entered the wrong room and fell asleep.

The woman decided not to press charges when she discovered what happened.

The man had a strong odor of intoxicants coming from his breath, slurred speech and bloodshot, watery eyes. He told police that he had been drinking beer most of the night at an unknown location.

The man was transferred to his dorm room where he was cited and released.

Assault victim protects assailant

Police met with a man at the University Medical Center Feb. 28 at 3:15 a.m. who said he had been assaulted.

When they arrived, police made contact with a man who said he was assaulted at a house party. He told police that the party was at his friend’s house, when a person threw a 40-ounce bottle of beer at him, striking him in the face. There was a heavy gauze bandage over the man’s nose.

The man said that he wanted to press charges, but he did not want to divulge the location of the incident.

Staff at UMC told police that the man would not tell them who assaulted him or where it happened.

Police asked the man again for the location of the party. The man did not tell them the location. Instead, he repeated that he wanted the suspect punished and arrested but did not want to “”hurt the frat.””

The man was slurring his words and repeating the same statements several times. He admitted to consuming alcohol at the house, but refused to say where the house was.

The officer told the man that he would follow up with the base, but if the man would not provide him with the necessary information the incident would have to be taken up with the fraternity.