FINAL: Arizona defeats SDSU 61-59 to win 2014 EA Sports Maui Invitational

Arizonas+Rondae+Hollis-Jefferson+drives+on+San+Diego+States+J.J.+OBrien+and+Malik+Pope+in+the+first+half.+
Arizona’s Rondae Hollis-Jefferson drives on San Diego State’s J.J. O’Brien and Malik Pope in the first half.

Despite foul trouble, the No. 3 Arizona men’s basketball team held on to beat No. 15 San Diego State 61-59 to win the 2014 EA Sports Maui Invitational championship.

The Wildcats (6-0) won their third straight regular season tournament by defeating SDSU (5-1) for the fourth game in a row.

Arizona made eight free throws in the final three minutes to secure the win. Freshman forward Stanley Johnson made six of those.

Johnson scored a game-high 18 points to go along with nine rebounds, five of which were offensive boards, three steals and a block. Johnson won the tournament’s MVP award.

The Wildcats had four starters with at least three fouls and three with four or more.

Junior center Kaleb Tarczewski fouled out with three points and one rebound. UA senior point guard T.J. McConnell had 11 points, three assists and three assists despite sitting much of the first half due to fouls.

Junior guard Gabe York was also in foul trouble and had two points.

Sophomore forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson had 14 points, six rebounds, three of which were offensive rebounds, one steal and three blocks. He had six points in the first half.

Arizona shot 36.5 percent from the field, 37.5 percent from 3-point land and 83.3 percent from the line. San Diego State shot 44 percent from the field, 44 percent from beyond the arc and 54 percent on free throws.

Forward Winston Shepard and guard Trey Krell had 14 points each for the Aztecs. SDSU forward Dwayne Polee II finished with 11 points after getting 10 in the first half.

After playing three games in three days, the Wildcats will return to action on Tuesday when they host Gardner-Webb.

Game nuggets

-UA also won the Maui Invitational in 2000 and is the sixth school with multiple Maui invitational championships

-Attendance was 2,400 in the Lahaina Civic Center, home of Division II Chaminade

-There we seven ties and 13 lead changes

-San Diego State had 14 turnovers, while the UA had 11

-The Wildcats had 34 rebounds and the Aztecs 32

-Arizona had seven blocks and seven steals, while San Diego State had four blocks and five steals