Hockey sweeps

The Arizona club hockey team got a much-needed sweep, with two wins over St. Louis University on the road over the weekend.

“”It was important for us to get in the win column,”” said Arizona head coach Leo Golembiewski, who is now four wins away from 600 total victories.

In the first of a two-game series against St. Louis, the Icecats came out strong with a 6-2 win on Friday to get its first win of the season after going 0-3 in the American Collegiate Hockey Association Showcase Tournament in West Chester, Penn., two weeks ago.

In Saturday night’s game, the Icecats came out flat and the Billikens pounced on their opportunity and went ahead 2-0 in the first period. But forward Jordan Schupan led the Icecats’ charge as they came back to win 6-3.

The sophomore had a hat trick to add to one of his best weekends as an Icecat. Schupan also scored two goals in the in the first game, giving him a total of five goals for the weekend.

“”I put a lot of pressure on him last year to be consistent,”” Golembiewski said. “”But this weekend Schupan was one of the highlights.””

The Icecats will have two weeks to prepare for their home opener against DePaul University on Nov. 7 at the Tucson Convention Center.

“”We’re happy with the wins,”” Golembiewski said, “”but we have a lot work to do before our home opener in two weeks.””