Solidarity — The Clothesline Project

Sydney Richardson

Kamila Yuyakbayeva, a public health junior, makes a T-­shirt for the Clothesline Project at the UA on Wednesday. The project was put together by the Oasis Program to raise awareness against sexual assault and relationship violence.

The Clothesline Project came to the UA on Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the UA Mall, allowing individuals from within the community to demonstrate that they do not stand for sexual assault. 

The Clothesline Project event was hosted by the Oasis Program, a program against sexual assault and relationship violence, and Students Promoting Empowerment and Consent. The Clothesline Project, which started in 1990, is a way for survivors and people against sexual assault to express their emotions and experiences by decorating a T-shirt. This event is one of many that is happening during April to promote Sexual Assault Awareness Month. 

“The Clothesline Project is an event to promote Take Back the Night, which is an event that is happening April 14, that includes a march and speakers protesting against sexual assault,” said Gabriela Valenica, an intern for the Oasis Program and a member of SPEAC. “For the Clothesline Project, we are encouraging people to make T-shirts with messages of support for survivors. We are just having them write anything they think will be a message of empowerment or support. We are hoping that students will gain more awareness on campus, and that they will help contribute to an environment that is supportive of survivors and believes in survivors.” 

Students gathered at the project’s booth with the goal of creating their own T-shirt consisting of anything from inspirational messages to silly pictures.

“My T-shirt is sending a message that many times in sexual assault situations, everyone starts questioning the survivor,” said Claire Green, an undeclared freshman, while creating her own T-shirt. “I think that is a completely inappropriate reaction because this person has already gone through a really traumatic experience and questioning whether or not they are telling the truth is a horrible way to go about solving the problem.” 

After the T-shirts were decorated, they were displayed on a clothesline for passersby to look at. The T-shirts will remain on the clothesline until April 19. 

“I think men need to stand up and do what is right in order to stop sexual assault,” said Andrew Tuohy, an astronomy major and member of SPEAC. “It is really important if you are a guy to set the standard for other men and show them the behavior you think is acceptable and call them out when you think they are exhibiting behavior that is unacceptable.”

_______________

Follow Alisha Perera on Twitter.