Police Beat

A woman rear-ended an unmoving vehicle at the intersection of East Speedway Boulevard and North Mountain Avenue at 3:15 p.m. March 21.

The woman was driving a gray two-door 1996 Toyota Tercel when she struck a yellow 1972 Chevy truck towing a small cement mixer, which was stopped at the traffic signal.

The Toyota sustained major damage to the front grill, bumper, hood and engine compartment. No damage was reported on the Chevy or the cement mixer.

The air bags in the Toyota deployed, causing minor burns and abrasions to both passengers.

The driver of the Toyota was cited for failure to control speed and failure to avoid a collision. The driver of the Chevy was cited for no proof of insurance.

A live bat was reported flying around the Meinel Optical Sciences building, 1630 E. University Blvd., at 5:24 a.m. March 22.

A custodian reported seeing a live bat on the sixth floor of the building. Officers responded to the call, along with Pima Animal Control. The bat flew into the atrium that extends from the fifth floor past the sixth floor.

The atrium, which has a glass ceiling that is permanently sealed, did not allow the bat to escape. Pima Animal Control was unable to trap the bat. Officers suggested that one ceiling panel be made removable in case of a similar incident in the future.

Employees at the building said that the bat would not harm people or be harmed until somebody is able to catch it. They said UAPD would be notified if further assistance was needed.

A male student was arrested at the intersection of North Campbell Avenue and East Adams Street for possession of drug paraphernalia at 6:25 p.m. March 22.

An officer stopped the student, who was riding a bike, for failure to stop at a stop sign at North Cherry Avenue and East Helen Street and riding the wrong way on the sidewalk.

The officer noticed a knife concealed in a sheath on the student’s right side and asked him if he had any more weapons on him.

“”Fuck off,”” the student responded, according to reports.

The officer attempted a pat-down search, but the student turned away and kept repeating expletives.

Police handcuffed the student for safety reasons and removed the knife from his belt.

Police saw a yellow highlighter sticking out of the student’s pocket. The highlighter had a metal pipe attached to the end of it and smelled like burnt marijuana.

No other contraband or weapons were found on the student. He was cited and released.

A black 2000 Honda Civic parked in lot 9004, 1370 E. Prince Road, was reported broken into between 7:15 and 8:30 a.m. March 23.

The car’s owner, a male student, returned to the lot at 12:10 p.m. and noticed the vehicle was running and the driver’s-side window was broken. The steering column was broken off and his gray JVC stereo was missing.

An officer spoke with a Cat Tran operator who saw the vehicle’s windshield wipers operating at 8:30 a.m. She reached into the vehicle to turn off the windshield wipers and immediately notified a Parking and Transportation dispatcher.

A regular passenger of the Cat Tran said she saw three young males in the lot at the time of the incident.

The officer dusted the window, steering column and door for fingerprints but none were found. The inside of the steering column had numerous prints left in the dust.

Police have no suspects.

An officer responded to a call of suspicious activity at Tyndall Avenue Parking Garage, 880 E. Fourth St., at 9:10 a.m., March 23.

Three males were seen by a witness looking into vehicles parked on the third level. One male said he was there looking for his cousin’s car and was dropped off there by the second male’s cousin, although he later said he arrived there by bus.

The third male said he was just “”along for the ride”” and did not know the first male. The first male consented to a search, and a screwdriver was found on him along with a silver vehicle key. He said the key was his house key. He could not explain why he had the screwdriver but insisted he was not trying to steal anything.

The second male said he was dropped off by his cousin, but he did not know his cousin’s name. He said his cousin gave him some keys and told him to bring his car back to their house, although they did not have a description of the vehicle.

The officer searched the garage and saw no evidence of damage to any cars made by a screwdriver. He confiscated the screwdriver and issued the males a trespassing warning. The officer told them they were not allowed on UA grounds without a legitimate purpose.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police?Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu