Police Beat: February 6

Hesitant residents

Last Friday, one student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office at 1:25 a.m. for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, and a second was referred for a Code of Conduct violation.

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers went to Coronado Residence Hall early on Friday morning because of a report of a strong smell of marijuana coming from a particular room. One resident answered the door when an officer knocked; the second student was coming out of the bathroom as the officer entered the room.

When asked if there was any marijuana in the room, both students said no. However, the second officer noticed a small bag of a green leafy substance sitting in plain sight on a desk. When asked again if they would mind the room being searched, the students exchanged glances, and one retrieved the bag from the desk and handed it to the first officer.

Inside the bag was a joint, unrolled marijuana and a grinder. The first student admitted to buying six grams of marijuana for $50 and smoking two times a week.

The student was read his Miranda rights and asked if he understood them, but replied, “Not entirely.” The officer then reread his Miranda rights and explained them to him.

Neither student was arrested. The drugs and grinder were placed into property and evidence.

‘I don’t want to shit you…’

A student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for the possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia in Coronado Residence Hall last Friday at around 11:30 p.m.

After a resident assistant reported the smell of marijuana coming from a room in Coronado, two UAPD officers were sent to investigate.

When the officers knocked on the door a student answered and identified himself as a suitemate, but not the actual resident of that room. He was asked to get the actual resident, which he did, and he was then allowed to leave since he had just arrived at the room.

The officers told the resident that they were here because of the strong odor of marijuana in his room.

He replied, “I don’t want to shit you; I have some,” and gave the officers a circular container with marijuana buds, two glass bongs with a visible residue of drugs and an orange prescription bottle with traces of dope in it.

The resident said he had gotten the bongs from a glass shop and purchased the marijuana from someone he didn’t know for $50.

When asked how he knew where to find a dealer, the resident replied, “I live in Coronado — everyone here knows where to get it.”

The resident was referred to the Dean of Students Office for diversion.

Tights are serious business

A UAPD officer investigated a possible threat to the UA on Jan. 29.

A tweet reading, “I’m getting so heated. About to launch a terrorist attack on university of Arizona,” was brought to the officer’s attention by UA Strategic Communication Specialists.

The officer researched the person who had tweeted the statement and eventually found a phone number. The person was then contacted by a detective.

The person seemed very embarrassed when she found out why she was being called and apologized. She explained that the tweet was just part of a playful argument with a friend about nylon tights, and that she wasn’t going to attack the UA and didn’t have the means to do so.

The detective asked her to remove the tweet from her feed, and she did.