Neighborhood group vows to take case against Spring Fling to court

Wednesday, January 23, 1985

Dissatisfied with proposals from the Associated Students of the University of Arizona to alleviate problems associated with Spring Fling, the Am Hughes Neighborhood Association will file a petition with the state Supreme Court.

“”We are going to file a petition but we don’t know when,”” said Mackey Taylor, a spokesman for the association.

Members from ASUA executive Spring Fling staff met last night with five members representing the surrounding community east of the university in an effort to rectify problems currently associate with the carnival, such as noise, traffic and vandalism.

“”The only solution is to have the entire operation toned back,”” said Sterling Stipe, community member. “”They need to cut out the big rides and loud music.””

“”For the size (Spring Fling) is, it is totally inappropriate for the university,”” he said, adding that another location should be found.

Last year, 53,000 people attended the four-day event.

Tod E. Carson, executive director of Spring Fling, compared the effects of traffic and noise to that of a football game.

“”It is worse during a football game than Spring Fling,”” he said. “”Shutting down Spring Fling is like shutting down a football game.””

Other locations were examined by the staff, such as the football field in Arizona Stadium, but they do not have the capacity to hold the carnival, Carson said.

“”We have looked at different areas, but our power source is McKale,”” he said. “”Every ounce of energy comes through the cords form McKale.””

The residents also said property values have been dropping because of the noise and traffic from the 11-year-old carnival.

“”Real-estate values are slowly sinking under our feet,”” said a UA graduate student who declined to be identified.

“”You cannot sell a house with a carnival in the front yard,”” she said.

Carson’s proposals to correct problems associated with the carnival are:

o   A machine measuring decibel levels will be used to ensure noise remains at 71 to 77 decibels.

o   Heavy-metal rock bands will not be invited. Instead, the staff will try to keep the music noise level down by inviting more moderate-sounding groups such as jazz musicians.

o   The largest and loudest of the carnival rides, the Super Loop, will be required to shut down at 10 every evening in accordance with Tucson city ordinances.

o   Also, ride operators who play loud much will be required to lower the volume of their music at 10 p.m.

o   Large trucks will be placed along Campbell Avenue to reduce noise coming from the carnival into the neighborhood.

o   A five-hour hotline will be available to answer any complaints from local residents.

“”It is obvious that Spring Fling is going to encroach upon the surrounding community, but the benefits out-weigh the encroachment and it is obviously a worthwhile enterprise to put on,”” said Clifford M. Lytle, interim dean of students.

ASUA will also propose that the neighborhood be cleaned up by the Catalina Council of the Boy Scouts of America after each night of the carnival.

“”Since they will be in school the first night, the staff is getting up at 7 a.m. to pick trash out of yards,”” Carson said. “”With all these standards, I don’t foresee any problems this year.””

The student-run carnival will run four days and three nights on the east end of campus in the grassy area just north of McKale Center.