Police Beat: August 6

Just a beer with dinner

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was driving south on Euclid Avenue on July 29 at 11:47 p.m. Traveling next to the officer’s squad car was a black Cadillac. The driver unexpectedly swerved his vehicle into the officer’s lane, and the officer had to brake quickly to avoid a collision. The officer immediately pulled the vehicle over on Sixth Street. The officer approached the vehicle and the non-UA affiliated male who was driving opened his door. The officer could smell alcohol coming from the vehicle. The male suspect was also sweaty and had watery, bloodshot eyes. The officer asked the suspect if his car window rolled down. The suspect mumbled, “The window is hard to roll down.” The officer then noticed a black pistol in the pocket of the door and told the suspect he was going to secure the gun. The officer placed the pistol in his patrol car and returned to the Cadillac to ask the suspect for his driver’s license. The officer informed the suspect that he could smell alcohol on him and the male suspect told the officer he had a beer earlier with his dinner. The officer asked the driver to step out of the vehicle to perform a sobriety test. Another officer arrived on the scene to assist with the test. The suspect did not pass the test, and was read his Miranda rights and arrested for DUI. Officers took the driver to UAPD headquarters for further DUI testing. The officer still on the scene conducted an inventory search of the suspect’s vehicle. It was noted in the report that there was an open, 23.5 ounce can of Four Loko malt liquor on the passenger-side floor board. The can was still cold and was three-fourths full. The officer emptied the can and left it in the vehicle. Back at headquarters, the suspect was given two Breathalyzer tests. The results from these tests were 0.272 and 0.259 respectively. The male suspect was charged and cited for an unsafe lane change, DUI in the slightest degree and a blood-alcohol concentration higher than 0.20. The Cadillac was impounded and the results of the test were placed into UAPD Property and Evidence.

Sweaty balls

UAPD officers responded to a call from a staff member at the UofA Bookstore on July 26 at 10:31 a.m. Officers spoke to the employee who said that they had surveillance video of a non-UA affiliated male removing a package from a display of Ping-Pong balls. The employee said that the suspect then purchased a drink at Starbucks and exited the bookstore with the pingpong package in his hand. The employee followed the suspect out of the bookstore and stopped him to ask if he had a receipt for the balls. The suspect replied, “No.” The suspect was asked to return to the store and to wait until law enforcement arrived. When the officer arrived, he asked the suspect what happened. The suspected told the officer that he came to the bookstore to buy the pingpong balls, but put them under his arm when he went to buy the drink and forgot to pay for the balls before leaving. The officer informed the suspect that he was being placed under arrest for theft. It was noted in the report that his wallet and phone were in a classroom in the Mines and Metallurgy building. Officers accompanied the suspect to the building so he could get his wallet and phone, then transported him to the Pima County Adult Detention Center.