Mail Bag

Columnist should take an economics class
    I read the article, “”Starbucks steps on ‘little guys,'”” Sept. 3, 2008. I thought about it. Seriously, I did. My conclusions: you might as well have titled your article, “”Swallows Carry Coconuts During Fall Migration”” or any other unintelligible idea that might have been floating around your head all by its lonesome.

How was your article in any way related to the idea that a large company steps on smaller companies? To be sure, it’s a valid concern to have, and it has occurred, does occur. But what in Adam Smith’s name have you contributed to that dialogue? Starbucks has by far the most expensive coffee I have come across. No one sells coffee at that high price. “”Stepping on small competition”” connotes that a large corporation uses its sheer size (in profit dollars) to temporarily sell below cost and drive its competition out of business to then obtain some degree of monopoly power in order to raise its prices up further, or some variation of this. This is not what’s happening.

The smaller coffee shops are going out of business despite underpricing the big guy. If people really like their coffee more, they’re just not drinking enough of it to support their existence. Even if people are too lazy to look two inches beyond the billboard or storefront that is in front of them, which you correctly claim, that doesn’t fall on the shoulders of Starbucks. Not to mention, this particular large company doesn’t advertise.

So, again, your title is nothing more than a line of moronic populism that you cannot distinguish from a real thought. I would advise that the editor of your paper place some prerequisites for writing a piece or title having to do with economics, namely that you take at least the most basic economics classes and pass them. Perhaps you can still make some good use of your final spring semester before you’re out the door. Quick lesson by analogy: you can’t love and care for an acorn while simultaneously hatefully chopping down an oak tree for having too many leaves.

William Hashemi
    Charlotte, North Carolina

Another perspective on D2L
    Matt: First, let me applaud you for not merely bashing D2L in your opinion piece, “”D2L: educational tool turned educational headache,”” Sept. 10, 2008, and for going out of your way to include potential reasons for delays and downtime. Having been an undergrad at the UA who was introduced to D2L in its early years, I can appreciate the inconveniences faced by undergraduate students attending classes on-site. However, as a third year Ph.D student in the College of Nursing who no longer lives in Arizona, I wanted to share with you the other side of D2L.

At the College of Nursing (CON), the entire Ph.D program is online and has been for a few years. We observe lectures, watch presentations, present discussions, interface as a class, and even take our exams online. We utilize breeze for live meetings with web-cams and an ability to upload our presentations and take control of the viewer. While the concept of an online education may not appeal to everyone, many students within the CON Ph.D program would not be able to attend school if this system were not in place. Considering I have already lived in three states since I began this program and anticipate state No. 4 next year, I for one am grateful that the CON agreed to utilize D2L to make this possible. Furthermore, having classmates who hail from other countries (e.g., Japan, China and Canada) has brought a level of diversity and cultural exposure that is quite valuable. Finally, while there may be some who question the intensity of such a program, the number of Ph.D students who are funded by the National Institutes of Health at the CON, as well as the volume of internationally recognized faculty who teach those iClasses, suggests otherwise.

I can agree with your opinion regarding the use of D2L on an undergraduate level in an on-site program for the most part. Yet, as a former undergrad, I suggest to you that there is something to be gained from experiencing this type of learning environment. I recommend thinking beyond this moment, this degree, and one student population (undergraduates) and expanding your thoughts to future education platforms, other degrees and other student populations.

Cheri Roy
    Nursing graduate student

Asperger’s no joking matter

I was personally offended and shocked by a sentiment in an article that ran yesterday titled “”DNA an explanation to men’s infidelity?”” The sentiment: “”that nerd you used to know is blaming his lack of a social life on a clinical disorder; Asperger’s to be exact.”” I have two family members with Asperger’s, and can tell you that it is a very real disorder. To suggest it is an “”excuse”” for nerdiness or a lack of a social life is downright ignorant.

Alex Negronida
    Journalism senior

Columnist fails to understand point of scientific research
    When I read “”DNA an explanation to men’s infidelity?”” I was extremely appalled. To me it seemed like an attack on science. The author of this article asserts, with so much certainty, that genes have no effect at all on behavior. Clearly there is a misunderstanding of the research under scrutiny. Behavioral genetics does not provide excuses for certain behaviors. Instead, it tries to explain why certain behaviors exist and links those behaviors to genetics. The data that is gathered usually shows a correlation of some sort, or sometimes it doesn’t.

However, the point is, the authors of those scientific papers never publish their work claiming drinking is entirely due to genetics. Rather, they show that there is some correlation between the two and try to explain how and why that occurs. Ironically, the author makes certain assertions such as “”the nerd is just a nerd”” without any contradictory evidence. Before scientific evidence is put under quotations as if it is some sort of questionable gossip, one should truly understand the purpose of science.

Imran Ghare
    Biochemistry junior

Reader disappointed by crossword repeat
    For the first time in my three years at Arizona I feel neglected by you. I mean, I’ve cared for you. I’ve recycled you. I’ve even made a paper airplane out of you and thrown you off of the second floor of the Union. Moreover, I’ve opened you every day for nearly two years and nothing has been more troubling then what I found in last Thursday’s edition. I’ve been honest with you and have always had the same intentions; I just wish you could say the same. I skim the three things I need to know for the day and laugh at the dumbasses in Police Beat. I sometimes think about placing an ad in the classifieds for your sports section, but regardless of their struggles, you have always been there for me. That’s why it was so frustrating when I sat down in class on Thursday and opened you up to the crossword to find that it was a repeat from Wednesday. I mean, really? The one part of the paper that can get me through a day and you do this to me? Come on D-Dub, you are so much better than that. I actually had to pay attention in class on Thursday. So I got one for you, D-Dub: What’s a twelve letter word for letdown?

Brett Booen
    Journalism junior