Red’s Smokehouse opens Sept.

Baraha Elkhalil / Arizona Summer Wildcat

Pasco’s Kitchen & Lounge has served UA students and Tucson residents locally grown good since 2011. Their second restaurant, Red’s Smokehouse and Tap Room, opens in September.

In September, Pasco’s Kitchen and Lounge owner Ramiro Scavo will open a new eatery celebrating Arizonan barbecue on University Boulevard.

Since opening in 2011, Pasco’s has become a vital part of the university community and a mainstay for urban comfort food.

Scavo made the decision to open Red’s Smokehouse and Tap Room after noticing an absence of barbecue and creative uses of outdoor cooking in Tucson. He hopes to celebrate local flavors while “showcasing something home cooks and pit masters have been doing for years.”

Scavo is excited to bring something new to University Boulevard and maintain the same sense of community that has helped Pasco’s grow. He hopes to continue contributing to the “energy and buzz that is on the block” with his fresh interpretations of barbecue.

Having worked in a kitchen since the age of 14, Scavo understands the necessary elements to operating a restaurant like a family.

“I worked my way from cook to sous chef, executive chef, corporate chef, to owner,” he said.

This sense of community has helped Pasco’s produce delicious food and a warm, welcoming atmosphere. Scavo attributes Pasco’s success and its vibrant atmosphere to the people of Tucson.

“We love being a part of university,” he said.

As we approach tailgating season in the fall, Red’s Smokehouse will provide the perfect place for ZonaZoo goers and fans alike to get their fix of brisket and craft beer.

Menu items include beef brisket, pork shoulder with a sassafras and root beer dry rub, and ribs rubbed with locally grown chiles and brown sugar. To complement the warm weather of Tucson, Scavo also hopes to feature fish-smoked sashimi and croute plates.

Red’s Smokehouse is expected to have an emphasis on craft beer and cocktails.

“We will have a full cocktail bar focusing on whiskey, bourbon and scotch, because it’s a natural pairing with barbeque,” Scavo said. There will also be an assortment of beers with which customers will be able to build their own six-packs.

Scavo believes it is important to celebrate the global culture of grilling and barbecuing.

“Every part of the world cooks outside on open flame or in a smoker or pit,” he said. Red’s Smokehouse is expected to have a pig roast each week celebrating different regional flavors such as Hawaiian, Asian and South American.

Scavo is excited for the future of Red’s Smokehouse and anticipates the university community welcoming them. Scavo hopes that Pasco’s and Red’s will “be here for the university and community for many years to come.”

Red’s Smokehouse will be located at 943 E. University Blvd. — just a short walk away from Pasco’s. Look out for information on the restaurant’s grand opening and upcoming events.