Alumnus to promote novel

A UA alumnus will be on campus today to tout his book about college and self-discovery.

Trevor Umbreit will sign copies of “”They Shoulda Told Me Earlier”” at the UofA Bookstore from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The self-published book features his experiences as an undergraduate, with subjects including sex, underage drinking and boring classes.

“”It’s stories about growing up”” and the politics that go with it, said Umbreit, 24, who graduated with a degree in fine arts studies in 2005.

Umbreit suffered a heart attack at 18. During his recuperation time, he said he reflected on what he wanted to do with his life. He realized life is short and one can die at any moment.

“”Do what you want to do and do it now”” is thus the underlying theme of the book, he said.

Umbreit hopes his book will not only entertain but also inspire people. He encourages students to have opinions and not be afraid to voice them.

“”Focus on what you truly want and go after it,”” Umbreit said. “”Don’t get caught up in the masses.””

“”They Shoulda Told Me Earlier”” began as a project to help screenwriters understand college students.

Through sharing his experiences with other writers, Umbreit realized he had an intriguing and meaningful story he wanted to publish.

Instead of pitching the book to publishers, Umbreit decided to self-publish and self-promote.

Mosaic Media Group, a Los Angeles talent-management firm, is pitching the book to publishers and producers, he said.

Umbreit said the book was sent to comedian Will Ferrell last week.

“”We’ll see what happens,”” Umbreit said.

John Umbreit, Trevor’s father and a UA special education professor, said the book is good for college students, but that parents can also gain by learning about what their children go though.

“”It shows the process of discovery that college students experience and reveals an understanding to the college experience,”” John Umbreit said.