FINAL: Newman steals home, win for Arizona baseball

Emily Gauci

Arizona infielder Kevin Newman (2) prepares to bunt during Arizona’s close 7-6 win against Rice at Hi Corbett Field on Saturday.

Arizona starting pitcher Robby Medel recorded one of those errors and allowed six hits, three runs and had zero strikeouts on 69 pitches.

The second pitcher for Arizona was Xavier Borde, who allowed one hit and two runs on 27 pitches before a pitching change was made. Relief pitcher Nathan Bannister was called out of the bullpen.

Bannister pitched the first strikeout of the game for Arizona in the top of the seventh inning. To close out the game for Arizona, infielder Bobby Dalbec made the move from third base to the mound, allowed one hit and had two strikeouts.

Rice’s starting pitcher Blake Fox pitched six straight innings, allowed seven hits and four runs, and recorded five strikeouts on 89 pitches.

After the game, Arizona coach Andy Lopez said he liked the team’s effort and competitiveness during the back-and-forth affair.

The series ends Sunday at 11 a.m. as the Owls and Wildcats square off in the rubber match of the three-game series.

Notable plays:
– Bottom of the third inning, Arizona got on the board first after a two-run homer by Riley Moore. Down 3-2 Bobby Dalbec homered to center field to tie the game.
– Bottom of the sixth inning, Handsome Monica singled but was able to make it to second base after a throwing error. Sawyer Gieseke had an RBI single to make the game 5-4 Rice for his first hit of the game.
– Bottom of the seventh inning, Zach Gibbons had an RBI single that drove in Justin Behnke to make the game 6-5.
– Gibbons hit a sacrifice bunt in the bottom of the ninth to advance Kingery to third, and a throwing error brought Kingery in to score to tie the game at 6-6.

– Kevin Newman stole home plate for the winning run with two outs in the bottom of the ninth.