Singles: a compilation for the impatient

‘MC Can Kiss’ by Uffie

If you’re looking for “”an entertainer not a lyricist,”” then look no further than Uffie, a Parisian rapper. This song, although a little vulgar, has a great dance-club beat with creative and interesting lyrics. The song ends with a funky elementary saxophone improv that you’ll either love or hate. Consider her a Ke$ha alternative, especially if you’re over “”TiK ToK”” and looking for something new.

*For those who like: Ke$ha, Lily Allen’s sassiness, Madonna

‘Boy from School’ (Hot Chip Cover) by Grizzly Bear

If you’ve fallen in love with the original you’ll probably like this drastic departure. The change is what makes the song so great — Grizzly Bear have taken the electro-dance original and turned it into an acoustic melancholy folk song. The chorus is simple with soft harmonizing sounds and extremely enticing.

*For those who like: Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, Deerhunter

‘Written in Reverse’ by Spoon

This song highlight is its beat — it controls the song. The beat is eerie, bluesy and lilted — something that will get your toes tapping. “”Written in Reverse”” is a Spoon jam session gone right. It’s very simplistic yet intensifies your curiosity. This song comes from their recently released album Transference.

*For those who like: The Shins, The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys

‘Papillon’ by Editors

This song automatically flashes to an epic scene out of an ’80s movie. The vocals — brassy, raw and unexpected — are complemented by the neoteric/new wave synthesizers and the strong beat. This song, accompanied by the newly released album In This Light and on This Evening, has a darker feel than previous records. This British indie-rock group with two platinum albums definitely deserves a listen.

*For those who like: The Strokes, R.E.M., Yeah Yeah Yeahs

‘In the Sun’ by She & Him

Delightfully ear-catching, the heavy bass and airy piano give this song an electric funk sound. Zooey Deschanel’s vocals are twangy and complemented by her other half M. Ward, with some guest vocals from Tilly and the Wall. This song is the epitome of indie-pop with its playful instrumentals. Check out the retro-pop duo at the Coachella Music and Arts Festival in April, and if you can’t wait that long their new album will be released Mar. 23.

*For those who like: Regina Spektor, Death Cab for Cutie, Ingrid Michaelson

‘Nadine (Ruckus Roboticus Remix)’ by Fool’s Gold

Remixes can be hit or miss, but this one is definitely a hit. Fool’s Gold takes the original Afro-beat folk version and transforms it into this dance-worthy Afro-beat track. The soft melody just sounds better set to a catchy beat with a sax instead of bagpipes.

*For those who like: Remixes, techno, soft indie-folk, afropop

‘Her Words Destroyed My Planet’ by Motion City Soundtrack

Those who have followed MCS through their past few albums have nothing to fear with this new single (and new album). The songs are still bouncy and light-hearted in melody; the twist comes from the darker lyrics. Opening with the rapid two-note guitar riffing to the “”lalala-ing”” in the chorus the song is fun to listen to and sing along with. See them live at the Rialto on Feb. 13.  

*For those who like: All Time Low, Weezer, Brand New