Letter to the Editor

In response to “ASUA, GPSC members at odds following proposal confusion” (published Oct. 3 by Brittny Mejia):

My name is Priscilla Teran. I am a graduate student at the University of Arizona in Library Science and I am a single mom of 2 amazing children who are the reason I came back to graduate school. I want to be able to give my children a better more comfortable life than what I had growing up. Higher education is the vehicle I will use in order to make that happen.

I have been an outsider in the ASUA/GPSC debate. In the last couple of weeks I have seen DW articles that don’t really explain the situation to anyone trying to make an informed decision. All I have seen the wildcat do is make the issue about Zachary Brooks the GPSC Graduate Student Body President and Morgan Abraham the ASUA Student Body President. No offense to either of them, as they seem like perfectly nice guys, but I don’t really care about what he-said or he-said. I have bigger issues to think about like how I will be able to continue with my program, get good grades, fund my research projects and still be able to feed my children at the end of the day.

I have nothing against ASUA or their Senators, in fact I thank them for their service. As an undergraduate they were much better situated to represent me. At this point in time, I want individuals that have been in my shoes to be able to advocate for me. I am surprised that the DW didn’t publish the fact that the Presidents of the Student Bar Association, The UA Medical School Tucson Campus, The UA Medical School Phoenix Campus, The UA College of Science, The Eller School of Management, and The UA School of Pharmacy signed on to a petition supporting the bylaw change that GPSC is asking for. This issue is not about who made the latest political faux pas or who said what about who. This issue is about the quality of life of over 8,500 people and their families who deserve to be represented by those that understand and care about their livelihoods. As far as I can tell due to the lack of action, ASUA doesn’t.