Police Beat: Sept. 10

Sliding through stop signs lead to impound

A man driving past Speedway Boulevard and Cherry Avenue was pulled over by a University of Arizona Police Department officer on Aug. 28, for committing two stop sign violations.

The officer began following the man after he noticed the man fail to stop at a stop sign. The man continued to travel near the UA campus, and drove past a second stop sign. The officer briefly lost sight of the man amongst a crowd of pedestrians, and the officer was not able to confirm whether the vehicle failed to stop at any additional signs.

The officer eventually pulled the car over. The driver identified himself with a California driver’s license. When the officer told the man about his stop sign violations, the man did not contest or question it. The officer asked the man to step outside the vehicle to conduct a field sobriety test.

The officer noticed the man exited the car unsteadily. The man admitted to drinking two beers earlier in the evening. The man then submitted to a breath test.  

Due to an extreme blood-alcohol content level in the man’s body, his car was impounded. The man was arrested and, at his own request, released to a cab.

Sliding through stop signs, part deux

A man was arrested by UAPD after officers found drug paraphernalia and marijuana in his car on Aug. 28.

The officer made the discovery after he pulled the man over for failing to yield at a stop sign and traveling the wrong way down a one-way street.

The driver identified himself with an out-of-state ID. The officer told him of the violations he had just committed before noticing what appeared to be marijuana seeds on the driver’s seat and the floor of the car.

The officer asked the driver if there were any drugs in the vehicle, to which he replied, “”Yes.”” The man openly stated he had a briefcase behind the driver’s side seat containing marijuana and paraphernalia. He gave the officer permission to search the vehicle.

The briefcase contained four glass pipes, a silver grinder, and a clear plastic baggie that held 14.8 grams of a substance suspected to be marijuana. An 18-inch bong was also found in the trunk of the car. All of these items were seized and placed into property as evidence. The man was cited and released at the scene for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

Bottle of wine, heap of trouble

A man behind a dumpster in the 7-Eleven parking lot near UA was spotted by a UAPD officer who noticed his odd behavior at 10:33 p.m. on Aug. 28. As soon as the officer approached the area, the man began to walk away.

The officer smelled intoxicants on the man’s breath and asked if he had been drinking. The man replied, “”No.””  The officer walked the man back to the dumpster, where he located a bottle of wine. The man admitted to drinking from the bottle. He also said that a man, whom he did not know, had bought the bottle of wine for him.

He was cited and released.  A code of conduct violation was forwarded to the Dean of Students Office.

What’s in a name?

A woman was cited by UAPD for underage drinking and giving false information to law enforcement on Aug. 28.

An officer noticed the woman as she was crossing a street on campus to get to a taxi. The woman was carrying a beer can in her hand.

When approached, the woman stated that she was 23 years old and that she could not get her ID out of her purse due to a faulty zipper. She gave the cops her first and last name, but a records check returned no record for the name.

The woman then provided the officer with an out-of-state driver’s license. A records check run on the driver’s license number returned information on a female with a different last name than the one the woman had originally provided. When asked about this, the woman stated that license belonged to her, and the officer could take it if he needed to because she could just get a new one.

At this time, the officer warned her against providing false information. The woman responded, “”It’s the truth.”” When the officer told her that the license returned information linked to a person with a different last name than what she had verbally stated, the woman said she knew that person. She explained that it was a family friend who she considers to be an uncle, not an aunt.

After a closer examination of the license, the officer discovered that it lacked a hologram, and the signature appeared to be similar to a common computer font. The officer then inspected the woman’s CatCard and noticed the signature was different than the one on the license. The woman admitted she had been lying and explained she got the fake ID from her brother.

While being issued a citation, the woman complained to the officer about him contacting her when there were many other people in the area who had been drinking and were underage. The officer noted that the woman herself had a mild odor of intoxicants emitting from her breath as she spoke. She was cited and released from the scene for a fictitious out-of-state ID, minor in possession and providing false information to law enforcement.