“After tourney hopes dashed, Icecats host D-II Texas Tech”

For the second time in three years the unranked Arizona Icecats will be staying home as the top sixteen American Collegiate Hockey Association teams will play for the ACHA championship in Youngstown, Ohio.

“”There’s nothing left, these last four game are the end for us,”” forward Robbie Nowinski said.

“”It’s disappointing, but we’re gonna try and end this season on a high note and hopefully carry that into next season.””

This weekend the Icecats (13-13-1) return home after dropping six straight on the road to face Division-II Texas Tech (26-5) at the Tucson Convention Center tonight and tomorrow. Both games have a 7:30 p.m. start.

The Icecats have had a tumultuous season so far, with key injuries plaguing the team since the season started. Arizona’s top two scorers, forwards Craig Irwin and Matt Conover, are out for the season along with seven other players due to injury.

“”It’s been a tough second semester, but they rallied around themselves,”” Icecats head coach Leo Golembiewski said. “”You just can’t help but be impressed (with) the way they’ve worked their tails off, despite the fact nine guys are on the (disabled list).””

The Icecats will fill the holes left by injuries with fresh faces, like forwards Brandon Robinson and Joe Del Rossi.

“”We’ve been waiting all year to get a shot to show what we can do,”” said the sophomore Robinson, “”and I think this really is a blessing in disguise for us.””

Said Golembiewski: “”We’re gonna finish off our season with the best players we have left.””

The Red Raiders are leading the Western Conference of Division-II club hockey, and will be no walk in the park for the Icecats.

“”We can’t underestimate them, even though they’re (Division-II), they’ve been pretty strong over the past few seasons, but we’re gonna have to go out there and make sure we attack them from the get-go,”” forward Scott Marshall said.

At this point in the season the Icecats are playing to boost morale for next season, Nowinski said.

“”I think we’ll play better, because now we’re playing for fun and not for some trophy,”” said goalie Luke Edwall.