Police Beat: April 13

Headlight harshness

University of Arizona Police Department officers were patrolling campus at 12:08 a.m. on Monday when they pulled over a student to tell him that his headlights were off.

Officers asked the man for his driver’s license and registration. He replied, “I don’t have my driver’s license on me. I left it at home.” Instead, he told officers his full name and date of birth. They found that his license was suspended and that he had an upcoming court date. They also found that he previously failed to pay a fine to the Casa Grande City Court.

Officers told the man about his violations, and he said, “I paid the fines to the court but I never sent a letter to the MVD (Motor Vehicle Division).” Officers said while that may be true, state law requires the vehicle be impounded for a minimum of 30 days.

Officers cited the man for driving with a suspended license and warned him for driving without his headlights on. The officers contacted the man’s dad, who owned the vehicle, and told him ways he could get his car back. Tucson Wrecker Service eventually towed the car.

That’s not my name

A UA employee was walking in Centennial Hall when he noticed a homeless man walking in behind him. The homeless man was wearing a name tag that said “Steven.” The employee asked the man if he needed help finding the exit, and the homeless man mumbled and walked away. Minutes later, another UA employee came to Centennial Hall and said his name tag was not in his office.

The employees asked UAPD to find the homeless man. Officers and employees started to search for him. The employee who had his name tag stolen told officers that his door was open in case students wanted to come talk to him. The employees also said that although they were not totally sure if the homeless man took the name tag, they suspected so. Officers found a pair of dark pants and keys in a nearby restroom, and said they suspected that the items belonged to the homeless man.