Campus hazing reports diminish

One official hazing complaint and two pending complaints were made to the Dean of Students Office last year, which is a decrease from 2003, when eight complaints were filed, according to reports.

The number of hazing complaints picked up in 2003, which prompted an increase in awareness programs on the nature of hazing and how to prevent and report it, said Kathy Adams-Reister, assistant director for the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership.

Reports indicate that hazing has decreased since 2003, with three complaints filed in 2004, and only one official complaint placed last year with two still pending investigation, said Veda Kowalski, associate dean of students.

After a number of organizations lost their campus recognition for hazing violations, hazing complaints began to decline, Adams-Reister said.

According to the Greek Life Web site, “”‘hazing’ means any intentional, knowing or reckless act committed by a student, whether individually or in concert with other persons, against another student.””

“”In my opinion, there have been more proactive measures to educate new members about if they’re being hazed and what they can do if they’re being hazed, so they’re not left in the dark about what to do,”” said Ted Burhans, former president of the Interfraternity Council.

The CSIL department oversees activities in the Student Organization Recognition Services and Greek Life offices, and when a hazing complaint is made, the dean of students investigates the report and records the course of action, Kowalski said.

Usually hazing reports are filed during the time when pledging members become official members of the organization, Kowalski said.

“”Typically hazing reports are referred during the time of initiation,”” which isn’t restricted to greek organizations, Kowalski said.

She said that upon receiving a complaint or

Hazing

2000 – 1 greek
    2001 – 1 greek
    2002 – none
    2003 – 5 greek; 3 academic honorarys
    2004 – 1 sports – competitive; 2 greek
    2005 – 1 greek. pending in 2005: 1 greek and 1 student goverment

allegation, the Dean of Student’s Office typically contacts the organization or member involved. Then the office conducts an investigation based on the information and determines whether there was a violation of the Student Code of Conduct.

If hazing is of a criminal nature, the Dean of Students Office contacts the University of Arizona Police Department, Kowalski said.

A report is considered to be of a criminal nature if someone gets hurt or breaks any laws, said UAPD officer Andrew Valenzuela, crime prevention specialist.

When an organization has been caught for hazing, consequences depend on the nature of the complaint but can range from going on probation to losing campus recognition, Burhans said.

If an organization is found to have committed hazing of a criminal nature, the Dean of Students Office can revoke its campus recognition, which means the organization can no longer use campus facilities or participate in UA-sponsored events, Kowalski said.

After a serious hazing incident for an organization, it can take anywhere from two to five years to regain campus recognition, Adams-Riester said.

To make a complaint about hazing, students can contact UAPD, the Dean of Students Office or the Hazing Hotline, 626-HAZE, Kowalski said.

The hotline is a means for students to report hazing or potential hazing anonymously, said Jennifer Leung, Greek Life program coordinator.

Students can learn more about hazing at www.stophazing.org.