Women’s tennis team gets a pair of 4-3 wins

This weekend’s matches were close calls for the Arizona women’s tennis team. The Wildcats remain undefeated after beating Texas Tech on Friday and the University of San Diego yesterday, both by a score of 4-3.

Arizona won two of its three doubles matches on Friday against the Red Raiders. In the Wildcat’s No. 2 spot, Natalia Toporowska and Katie Orletsky easily beat their competitors in an 8-1 victory; Jane Huh and Ariane Masschelein had the same outcome on court three.

With the leading point heading into solo matches, the Wildcats were tested and tied in singles play. But the early point from doubles showed its importance when it pushed the Wildcats over the edge for the final victory.

Yesterday, the Wildcats gave away the first point after losing two of the three doubles matches, putting the Torreros at an advantage.

“”Today we got a slow start and it cost us the doubles,”” Arizona head coach Vicky Maes said.

The Toreros only needed three of the six singles matches to win. With two victories, the outstanding game to determine the outcome was played by freshman Jane Huh, who stepped up and beat her opponent (3-6, 6-1, 6-1).

“”I was very happy with (her) performance under pressure,”” Maes said. “”It was great to see a freshman step up and close out a dual match situation like that. She had to battle.””