Round 2 pushes women’s golf to 4th-place tie

After a rough first round in which the No. 12 Arizona women’s golf team struggled by hitting 22 bogeys and seven double bogeys en route to a 17-over-par outing, the team came out for the second day of competition ready to prove themselves in the Pacific 10 Conference Championships, in Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.

UA head coach Shelly Haywood was disappointed in what she saw for the first day because “”the team just looked sloppy.””

Round two was a better day for the team as the Wildcats shot a 15-over-par for the day and moved up to fourth place tie with No. 46 Oregon at 32 over.

Arizona cut its double bogeys down to two in the second round, but carded 29 bogeys. Three of the five players improved on their round-one scores with senior Mary Jacobs leading the way. She is now in a ninth-place tie individually after shooting an even par on day two and sits at 5-over-par.

Jacobs was only one of five players to post a round of par or better yesterday. Senior Alison Walshe didn’t improve her score as she posted a 4-over-par and now sits at 6 over for the tournament in a tie for 12th place.

Freshman Alejandra Llaneza shot a 6-over-par for the day after shooting a 2 over in round one, which puts her in a tie for 17th place. Junior Amanda Wilson shot a 5-over-par, a three-stroke improvement from her 8 over in the first round, to tie for 32nd place heading into the final day of competition today.

Sophomore Emily Mason shot a 9 over and is now tied for 41st with a 19-over-par total thus far.

The 11 birdies in round two helped to boost the Wildcats and slightly made up for their increase in bogeys.

“”This is something that we stress,”” Haywood said. “”Team play is a huge part of our game and it has been big for us the entire year.””