Police Beat: February 5

For the love of Fitzgerald

A UA student called the University of Arizona Police Department to report an altercation with her former roommate on Jan. 24.

She said that her roommate hadn’t returned her No. 11 Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona Cardinals jersey she had let the roommate borrow for a work event. At the time of the exchange, both women were roommates and friends, but since then had no longer been roommates due to conflicting personalities.

The student said that she spoke to her former roommate about getting the jersey back, but the ex-roommate claimed she no longer had it.

The UAPD officer contacted the ex-roommate to arrange a time to return the student’s jersey.
However, when they met, she said that she no longer had the jersey because she let another friend borrow it and could not reach her to get it back.

The ex-roommate said that she would try to get it back within the next few days. After a couple
days had passed, the student texted her ex-roommate about the jersey, but she said again that she didn’t have it and would get it back.

Over the next few days, the ex-roommate began receiving threatening text messages about returning the jersey. It was finally returned during a final exchange between both women and a UAPD officer.

No Mary here … oh, wait

A UA student received a referral for possession of a glass pipe with marijuana residue on Jan. 27 at Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall.

UAPD responded to a call from a resident assistant reporting the strong smell of marijuana on the third floor. When the UAPD officer went to the third floor, he could smell a strong perfume aroma as well as the faint smell of marijuana coming from one of the rooms.

The officer knocked on the door to confirm where the smell was coming from. The resident answered and had no problem letting the officer come into the room to speak with her. As the officer entered, he saw that the other roommate was present as well.

The officer told both students that he could smell marijuana coming from the room. The two said that they didn’t have any marijuana and had not been smoking. He proceeded to ask them if he could search their room and they agreed.

After searching, the officer found a red tin box with a glass pipe that contained marijuana residue.
He asked whose it was and one of the girls replied that it was hers.

The student was referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Random nudes

Last Tuesday, UAPD responded to a UA student’s request to document multiple unwelcome text messages she had received.

The student said she believed her phone number had been put on a “sex chat” website after she received multiple text messages asking her to send pictures of herself. She did not send any pictures, but received three nude pictures of random men and many sexual text messages.

Although the messages were not threatening in any way, the student wanted them to be documented just in case. The student said she believes that her two ex-roommates are responsible for putting her phone number on a sex website.

The student changed her phone number and stopped receiving the messages.