Pfizer vaccine eligibility opens to children under 12 as global COVID-19 death toll surpasses 5 million

Jacqueline Canett
Spread out, reduce the spread sign at bench outside of Centennial Hall. A man walks in the background with a University of Arizona face mask. Following Gov. Ducey’s executive order, the UA will not be able to restrict student participation in academic activities on the basis of their COVID-19 vaccine record, their participation in COVID-19 testing and their mask-wearing habits.

Kids ages 5 to 11 will now be able to receive the Pfizer vaccine after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated their recommendation Tuesday. 

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration had already approved the release of these vaccines to young children, but in order for them to be authorized for use, the CDC had to formally recommend them. 

RELATED: BREAKING: UA issues employee COVID-19 vaccination requirement

According to the CDC, this decision makes the vaccine available to nearly 28 million U.S. children, and the distribution of these vaccines will begin this week. Many sites across the country, like children’s hospitals and doctor’s offices, have already received these doses. According to a statement released by President Joe Biden Tuesday, the Biden administration claims to have already secured vaccines for every eligible child.

This news comes one day after the global COVID-19 death toll surpassed 5 million. In Pima County, the death toll is just under 3,000, with over 145,000 confirmed cases, according to the Pima County Health Department

RELATED: OPINION: It’s normal to feel uneasy about COVID-19 when returning to campus

69.82% of Pima County adults have at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, compared to 61% of the Arizona population and 58% of the US population.

In the past ten days at the University of Arizona, out of 4,990 tests taken, there have been 69 reported positive cases with a 1.4% positivity rate, according to the UA COVID-19 dashboard. 

In accordance with an executive order implemented by Biden, the UA announced that any employee of the university must submit proof of vaccination by Dec. 8. The UA continues to offer free vaccinations and testing at Campus Health to students and faculty alike.

Follow Sam Parker on Twitter