CD Review: Modest Mouse: We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

For years, Modest Mouse was the darling of the underground rock scene. Fast forward to today, when the band is one of the most well-known mainstream rock acts. We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank is Modest Mouse’s third major-label album and is without a doubt their catchiest effort to date.

This radio-friendly record may put off the band’s oldest fans, but there’s no doubt that Modest Mouse is getting better with each release. The biggest change to the band is the addition of guitarist Johnny Marr, a former member of The Smiths. Marr and Modest Mouse front man Isaac Brock have used this album to show that they are an amazing creative force.

“”Dashboard”” is the album’s first single, but it’s also one of its best tracks. It’s an indie rock song with a danceable edge that will get people on their feet. The best song, however, is another catchy number titled “”We’ve Got Everything.”” The song features The Shins’ front man James Mercer contrasting his vocals with those of Brock.

Veteran Modest Mouse fans will appreciate the album’s longest track, “”Spitting Venom.”” The eight-minute track is a throwback to the band’s older, sprawling tracks.

While the hippest of hipsters may not appreciate Modest Mouse’s newfound success, this album is a winner, although it isn’t as cohesive as the band’s previous records. Individual songs shine brightest here, but not the album as a whole.

8/10