“ASUA battles weather, gears up for elections”

ASUA will be discussing student government elections for 2010, funding for new programs and the confirmation of Matthew Hum to the last seat of the UA Supreme Court today, according to Executive Vice President Emily Fritze.

The meeting will take place in the Ventana room of the Student Union Memorial Center at 5 p.m. today. 

ASUA President Chris Nagata will formally announce the beginning of student government elections during their scheduled meeting. However, elections officially began Tuesday as candidate and commission packets became available at the ASUA office, on the fourth floor of the student union.

ASUA Sen. Tyler Quillin plans to ask the panel for financial support for his peer mentor program. Quillin and his team of chief mentors hope to “”hit the ground running as soon as possible,”” but need funding from ASUA.

He plans to submit a formal funding request for $65 during today’s meeting. 

Quillin hopes this program will serve as a resource for incoming freshmen and sophomores who have not yet found their social or academic niche.

“”I’m hoping to enrich someone else’s experience,”” Quillin said. “”You’re not going to be as successful unless you get involved.””

The proposed funds will cover the costs of marketing and advertising supplies such as fliers and vinyl boards. Quillin plans to begin marketing the program to garner mentors and mentees in the next few months, he said.

For now, Quillin says he needs financial aid from the ASUA but says he will need to rely on other sources of funding to keep the program running next year.

Last, the annual Arizona Students Association retreat, which ASUA will attend, was scheduled to take place this weekend at Chauncey Ranch in Meyer, Ariz. but will be delayed for several days by severe weather conditions, said Robyn Nebrich, interim executive director for the ASA.

“”We usually have an annual retreat to start off the legislative session on the right foot and talk about what’s ahead for the spring semester,”” Nebrich said.

At this year’s retreat, members plan to discuss legislative strategy, campaign planning, tuition and executive director hiring, among other things, according to Elma Delic, director and board vice chair for ASA.

However, snowy weather will prevent a third of the board members, those from NAU, from attending the annual event, according to Nebrich.

An executive meeting held Tuesday afternoon rescheduled the retreat for Jan. 27.