UPDATED w/ Video: Softball sends Washington packing

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. — The Arizona Wildcats stayed alive in the Women’s College World Series after defeating Washington 4-3 on Saturday.

The win broke a five gave losing streak in Oklahoma City, Okla., and sent the defending national champions Huskies home. Arizona will take on the Hawai’I Rainbow Whaine tonight at 6:30 p.m. Pacific time.

The Wildcats defeated Washington (50-9) for the first time all season after being swept by the Huskies in three games earlier this season.

“”Today was a good day for the Wildcats and I think we finally got a chance to play the game and Kenzie threw a heck of a ball game and we had a few people step up,”” head coach Mike Candrea said.

Arizona (49-12), with the help of three Washington errors, was able to put up four runs on the Huskies, including a crucial one in the top of the seventh inning that would prove to be the difference.

Although pitcher and two-time national payer of the year Danielle Lawrie (40-5) struck out 12 Wildcats, she was tagged for six hits.

Sophomore right fielder Karissa Buchanan led the Wildcats off with an infield single in the third inning. The two out hit not only turned over the lineup, but gave Arizona the spark it needed to get on the board.

“”We put the ball in play and good things happened,”” said senior shortstop K’Lee Arredondo, who had two RBI singles in the game. “”We were in the game. All around it got our juices going.””

There were some controversial calls in the game, including one at third base when Washington’s Jenn Salling was called out for violating the look back rule, sanction 12.21 that stifled the Huskies chances of coming back in the sixth inning.

“”There were some interesting calls to say the least,”” Candrea said.

For the Wildcats, pitcher Kenzie Fowler struck out eight Huskies. The story for Fowler 35-7) though, was her ability to respond when she was called for more illegal pitches.

Fowler was called for six illegal pitches in the Washington game, but unlike in the Wildcats’ first game of the WCWS, she was able to battle through and keep her poise.

“”I admire Kenzie for fighting through what she did,”” said Candrea. “”For a freshman, with the composure that she showed throughout the day against a very tough team that makes me really proud.””