Regents add $200 to in-state undergraduate tuition for fall

PHOENIX – After tabling the decision to set undergraduate resident tuition for six weeks, the Arizona Board of Regents voted to adopt proposals on tuition offered by the three state universities’ presidents.

For the UA, the regents’ decision yesterday will mean a $200 tuition increase for resident undergraduates.

In-state undergraduates currently pay $4,487, but after the board adopted President Peter Likins’ proposed 4.6 percent increase, students will pay $4,754 after fees next year.

New fees for next year include a $65 technology fee and a $2 increase in the Arizona Financial Aid Trust, both of which were approved by the regents earlier this year.

The regents also approved ASU President Michael Crow’s 6.5 percent increase in tuition. ASU in-state undergraduates will now pay $4,686 in tuition.

The 3.5 percent increase in undergraduate tuition requested by Northern Arizona University President John Haeger was also approved. NAU in-state undergraduates will pay $4,381 next year.

The state has a record surplus in excess of $1 billion, and regents had hoped they could reduce proposed increases in tuition with increased state funding.

Regent Ernest CalderÇün said he was disappointed the Legislature had failed to agree on a budget by late April.

He said by not having legislative support, legislators were forced to make their decision without knowing all the facts.

“”It’s a pitch in the dirt,”” CalderÇün said.

Regent Robert Bulla said the board of regents could not afford to delay the decision any longer.

“”We can’t wait much longer,”” Bulla said. “”We’ve got all of our fingers crossed that we will see support for the universities.””

The Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction, Tom Horne, voted against each of the proposed tuition increases, saying the universities should look to making priorities in their budget rather than forcing increases on students.

The regents also decided to shift the timetable for deciding tuition, moving from the deadline from spring to fall.

CalderÇün said the process for deciding tuition for the 2007-2008 academic year would start this summer and would be decided in the regents’ December meeting.

CalderÇün painted a scenario in which regents would set two forms of tuition under the new timetable: a minimum increase in tuition for each school if the Legislature fully funded the universities and a secondary amount that would go into effect if the Legislature failed to fully fund the universities.

The regents also approved the employment contract for Robert Shelton, the next UA president.

A summary of the contract lists Shelton’s salary at $420,000 per year with an annual housing allowance of $45,000 and an annual car allowance of $9,400. Other benefits include a $75,000 yearly contribution to a retirement program, appointment as a tenured professor in the College of Science, moving expenses and reimbursement for travel expenses.