UA chapter of Beta Theta Pi suspended

Amorah Tate
The pillars standing in Heritage Park represent the different types of houses, as well as what chapter they belong to. Each sorority or fraternity has the opportunity to buy a pillar and put their name on it.

The University of Arizona suspended the Delta Beta chapter of Beta Theta Pi for hazing and alcohol use incidents. 

The Delta Beta chapter failed to uphold their risk management and substance-free housing policies, which created “a dangerous pattern of behavior in its new member program and during social events” according to the UA fraternity and sorority program site. 

RELATED: UA joins lawsuit against recent ICE directive

The path that ultimately led to this decision culminated in 2018 when incidents related to hazing and alcohol resulted in a probationary period for the chapter as well as a membership review,” according to a statement from HQ. “Since then, Delta Beta has struggled to uphold the Fraternity’s Risk Management and Substance-Free Housing Policies, creating a dangerous pattern of behavior in its new member program and during social events.” 

The statement also said the chapter’s executive board started a second membership review in February after an investigation found hazing, which included new member activities with alcohol and unsafe social events during the spring 2020 semester. 

“Half of all brothers and pledges immediately and voluntarily resigned their memberships, and by the end Delta Beta was left with 20 members we hoped would guide the chapter forward,” the statement said. “Unfortunately, all of those men notified the Administrative Office of their decision to disaffiliate soon thereafter.”

A letter from the Dean of Students office, dated July 8, confirmed that UA suspended the charter of Delta Beta chapter of Beta Theta Pi. 

“Loss of recognition means the withdrawal of the fraternity as a recognized student organization on the university campus,” the statement said. “An unrecognized student organization cannot participate in any University sponsored event and loses the use of University facilities and resources.”

The statement from the Dean of Students said outstanding sanctions would have to be completed if Beta Theta Pi’s central office is interested in returning to UA and receiving UA recognition. 

Beta Theta Pi’s national office issued a press release regarding the suspension.

“The chapter’s charter will remain suspended and in care of the Board of Trustees throughout this period of disbandment,” the statement said.

Follow Priya Jandu on Twitter