Calendar

Today

Damien Rice – If you like whiny folk songs by a hot young guy, then you probably like Damien Rice. He’s gracing Tucson with his presence after playing at the infamous Coachella music festival, so if you weren’t able to get tickets to that, here’s your chance to see one of the acts! 7:30 p.m. $30 to $40. Tucson Convention Center Music Hall, 260 S. Church Ave.

Rhetoric – Nothing intrigues me more than a band name based on the sensual word for the powers of persuasion. Rhetoric is performing with a band whose name is also succinct and to the point: Concept. Both of the groups play rock music, leaning toward heavy-metal stuff. 11 p.m. $5. Vaudeville Cabaret, 110 E. Congress St. (21+)

Tomorrow

Birds of Avalon – Recently signed to Volcom Records, Birds of Avalon is poised to swoop down on the music scene very soon. Come see the band that is supposedly similar to Thin Lizzy and Weezer with a psychedelic pop twist. Then you can say you saw the band before it got big. With The Provocative Whites and Found Dead on the Phone. 9:30 p.m. $6. Plush, 340 E. 6th St. (21+)

Friday

First Friday Shorts – It’s the first Friday of the month, and you know what that means! First Friday Shorts at the Loft! This is the big end-of-the-year showdown where all of the 12 monthly winners will have their films screened to compete for the $500 grand prize and the honor of having their short film screened before a regular feature for at least a week at the Loft. 9 p.m. $5. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

UApresents Tiempo Libre “”Salsa Dance Party”” – Tiempo Libre is a Grammy-nominated group that performs a mix of Latin and Cuban music that will have you shaking your booty in your chair. What better way to spend “”reading day”” than by loosening up and listening to some fun salsa music? 8 p.m. $10 to $28. Centennial Hall

Saturday

Elf Power and Cloud Cult – Elf Power is a band that likes to collaborate with many different people, like Kevin Barnes from Of Montreal and Jeff Mangum from Neutral Milk Hotel, and they’ve toured with the Shins. They’re kind of a big deal in the indie scene. Cloud Cult is also a big deal, and the band’s CDs and packaging are made from recycled materials. Talk about environmentally friendly music. If you’re an indie scenester, or ever hope to be one, go to this show. With La Cerca. 9 p.m. $8. Solar Culture, 31 E. Toole Ave.

Ballet Tucson presents “”Swan Lake”” – One of the greatest classical ballets of all time is the finale to Ballet Tucson’s 2006-2007 season. Be sure to gobble up a pair of tickets! 7:30 p.m. $10 to $32. Centennial Hall

KFMA Day 2007 – KFMA Day is one of the largest outdoor concert events Tucson sees all year, and the 2007 lineup is electrifying with The Used, Chevelle, Sum 41, The Bravery, Silversun Pickups, Authority Zero and Chris Cornell. Need I say more? Noon. $30 advance, $40 at the door. Pima County Fairgrounds, 11300 S. Houghton Road

Sunday

Fear Before the March of Flames – A truly metalcore show, Fear Before the March of Flames makes crazy harsh music influenced by Converge and the Blood Brothers. Poison the Well cooks up hardcore music and their songs can go from being insanely melodic to all-out screaming in a second. With Portugal The Man and Heavy Heavy Low Low. 6:30 p.m. $12 advance, $14 at the door. The Rock, 136 N. Park Ave.

Tool – This Tool show was cancelled in March because Tool’s drummer, Danny Carey, suffered from torn biceps. Now the band is back to make up its promise of a fantastic concert. I hope you already have your tickets, because it probably sold out before you realized the band was coming to town. 7:30 p.m. $38.50 to $48.50. Tucson Arena, 260 S. Church Ave.

“”Comedy Tonite”” – David Fitzsimmons, editorial cartoonist for the Arizona Daily Star, will perform comedy as part of a monthly show put on by comedic magician Tom Potter of Laughmagic Productions. 7:30 p.m. $10. Top Hat Theatre Club, 3110 E. Fort Lowell Road

Monday

North – Local rock bands get their groove on at a little-known place called the Living Room. Depending on how long you’ve lived in Tucson, you may know of local group Assume the Worst, which broke up when the lead singer’s voice started to change. Well, North is made up of Zack and Ty from A.T.W., and that should get your little high school heart pitter-pattering again. With Caspian, Arc of the Aurora. 7 p.m. $5. Living Room, 413 E. Fifth St.

Tuesday

Frog Eyes – Someone once requested to hear songs by Frog Eyes and Golden Boots on my show for KAMP Student Radio. After searching all through the studio for their CDs I was convinced that someone had sent me on a wild goose hunt for music by bands that they made up. Apparently not, because they’re both coming to perform their avant-garde rock that will have you requesting their songs and driving DJs nuts. With Alex Delivery. 9 p.m. $7. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. (21+)

– compiled by Alexandria Kassman