Survey of Tucson’s Fourth of July events

It is that time of year again, when the scent of hot dogs grilling on the barbecue, sparklers at dusk and family and friends are synonymous with the Fourth of July. Tucson offers a variety of ways for the community to celebrate our nation’s birthday with fireworks, soccer and even a few dance parties.

Old Tucson’s All-American Holiday

The old West comes alive at Old Tucson’s first annual All-American Holiday weekend event. The event boasts food and fun for families and students alike, and features a petting zoo, pie eating contests and the raising of the flag. Food options include American classics: burgers, brats and turkey legs.

Marie Demarais, Old Tucson’s marketing manager, said she is excited to see Old Tucson, “full of people celebrating America’s independence and enjoying a day of family fun.”

Tickets cost $17.95 for adults and $10.95 for children.

University of Arizona’s Let Freedom Sing

The UA features Let Freedom Sing, a performance that depicts America’s dedication to freedom with the Arts Express Choir and Orchestra. The event has celebrated our nation’s birthday for 31 years and continues to shine a light on those who work tirelessly to maintain it.

Tickets cost $25, and the event starts at 3 p.m. at Centennial Hall.

Westin La Paloma’s Fourth of July All American BBQ & Laser Light Show

The Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa hosts Fourth of July festivities all weekend, including poolside games, a watermelon eating contest, a dive-in movie and a superhero contest. Other festivities include a smorgasbord of barbecue food, live country music from Buckboard and even a late-night laser light show by the pool.

Hilton El Conquistador’s BBQ, Concert and Fireworks Extravaganza

This weekend, the Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf and Tennis Resort throws an Independence Day celebration for hotel guests. Jennifer Brack, the marketing manager, explained that the night begins with a barbecue buffet featuring baby back ribs, cheddar cheese biscuits and strawberry shortcake. The celebration includes live music from local band Reunion on the golf course and a firework show that makes for the perfect end to Independence Day.

The event costs $39 for adult hotel guests, whose children may receive admittance for $20, and $49 for adults without a hotel reservation and $25 for non-guest children.

The 5k Freedom Run

To honor the nation and increase your heart rate, the seventh annual 5k Freedom Run is just the thing for you. The event partners with That Others May Live Foundation, which supports families of United States Air Force Rescue Heroes who have died or been injured in battle.

The run begins at Golf Links Sports Complex Ramada and costs $20 for ages 17-and-under and $25 for ages 18-and-over.

FC Tucson’s Fourth of July Blast

Tucson’s own soccer team, FC Tucson, gets into the Fourth of July spirit and hosts a firework show after their second annual Southwest Showdown. FC Tucson battles it out with their rival, Albuquerque Sol FC, after taking home the golden rattler trophy last year. The game begins at 7:30 p.m. at the Kino North Stadium and ends with a firework extravaganza and refreshments from Eegee’s.

Mercado San Agustín’s Fourth of July Event

El Mercado San Agustín Public Market hosts a celebration filled with vibrant music, dancing and delicious food. The Cochise County All-Stars perform at 6 p.m., along with entertainment from the Grupo Coatlicue dancers and 15 food trucks offering delicious food and drinks. Once the sun goes down, DJ Chairez preforms into the night alongside celebratory fireworks.

“A” Mountain Firework Celebration

The city of Tucson holds their annual “A” Mountain Firework Celebration starting at 9:15 p.m. Kate Calhoun, director of marketing for the Tucson Convention Center, explains that the best place for people to experience the show is outside the TCC. Vendors will sell their Fourth of July fare outside of the center, with hamburgers, hot dogs and other delicious treats available for residents to snack on throughout the night.

“I’m very excited to share this celebration with the rest of the community,” Calhoun said.

Hotel Congress’ Saturdaze

After the firework show, Hotel Congress hosts their Saturdaze Dance Party. The event features DJ Bob Felix, Sid the Kid, Jalph and Andrew Shuta. The party starts at 10 p.m.

Admission is free and is reserved for attendees 21-and-older.