Men and Women Tennis Brief

Final match before break

Before officially starting spring break, the No. 30 Arizona’s women’s tennis team must travel to Eugene, Ore., for a match against No. 24 Oregon tomorrow at 2:30 p.m.

The Wildcats (9-5, 0-4 Pacific 10 Conference) play the Ducks (10-2, 2-0) in their last match before a two-week break, trying to stop a five-game losing streak that followed nine straight wins to start the year.

“”The break will help,”” Arizona assistant coach Brian Ramirez said. “”The girls need rest.””

The team took a break from Pac-10 play Wednesday, losing to No. 63 Pennsylvania, 4-3, in their first nonconference loss of the season.

“”Our goal is to not let it affect us,”” said freshman captain Danielle Steinberg. “”It will be more motivation.””

Motivation is something the Wildcats will need when they go up against the Ducks, who have only suffered one loss at home. The players have learned from the matches they have lost and will use that to help them get a victory, Ramirez said.

He said the team planned having a light practice yesterday because the women were worn out.

“”The girls need to understand their situation,”” Ramirez said. “”We need to compete well and grind it out.””

With the Wildcats only having one match this weekend, they hope to find the strength to begin the break with a win.

“”We need to push the match with all we have,”” Steinberg said.

The Wildcats will have sophomore Camelia Todorova back and are hoping that junior Juliette Mavroleon will be able to play, Ramirez said. Mavroleon was unable to compete against Penn because she was ill.

“”If the girls compete well, they have shown they can beat teams like Oregon,”” Ramirez said.

Streak of home games begin this weekend

Playing at home could help the No. 43 Arizona’s men’s tennis team, as the Wildcats return to the Robson Tennis Center to compete against No. 30 California (4-3, 1-2) today at 1:30 p.m and No. 12 Stanford (6-1, 3-0) tomorrow at 1 p.m.

The Wildcats are undefeated at home, where they have won all six matches this season. The Wildcats can get comfortable in their home environment, as Arizona plays its next nine matches at home.

Senior captain Roger Matalonga said the Wildcats are confident heading into the Cal matchup after beating No. 68 William & Mary and falling to No. 32 Boise State.

“”We all played good because we know we lost to a good team,”” senior captain Roger Matalonga said. “”We are feeling much better.””

A positive attitude will benefit the Wildcats when they host Stanford.

“”It will be a good challenge,”” said Arizona head coach Tad Berkowitz.

The win last weekend was good because every player did what was expected of him, Matalonga said. He said the team keeps getting better every week, which will be helpful going into this weekend’s matches.

Even at home, the Wildcats have a challenge in front of them as both teams carry players individually ranked in the top 20.

Matalonga, playing in the No. 1 slot, has moved up in individual rankings to No. 42.

Matalonga said winning the doubles point in both of these weekend matches would give Arizona the advantage.

“”We jump ahead with the doubles point,”” Matalonga said. “”It makes teams nervous.””

Senior Daniel Andrus is day-to-day with a pulled groin, Berkowitz said.

Even with Andrus’ situation questionable, the players are still confident that they have the ability to win.

“”We have lost three, but two were close and were to good teams,”” Matalonga said. “”We feel we have a chance to win.””