“Shelton walks campus to talk business, promote health”

Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

President Shelton takes a walk around campus with UA employees on Monday, Feb.15 as part of the annual Walk Across Arizona campaign to promote physical fitness. The second annual walk with the President gave campus members an opportunity to have a casual chat with Shelton while getting some exercise.
Lisa Beth Earle
Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat President Shelton takes a walk around campus with UA employees on Monday, Feb.15 as part of the annual Walk Across Arizona campaign to promote physical fitness. The second annual walk with the President gave campus members an opportunity to have a casual chat with Shelton while getting some exercise.

President Robert Shelton did four miles on his elliptical machine Monday morning, making it easier for him to lead and complete a brisk on-campus walk with approximately 15 faculty and staff members Monday afternoon.

Students were also welcome to participate in the walk, but no students took part.

Organized by Life & Work Connections and Arizona Cooperative Extension, the 20-minute walk was meant to give campus community members a chance to get midday exercise and talk with the university’s top administrator.

The walk was also intended to promote physical fitness.

“”I find that I sleep better when I exercise,”” Shelton said. “”Whatever exercise you can do is important for physical as well as mental health. It helps you sort out which problems are really problems, too.””

Campus Health Services employees Cheryl Anderson and Rochelle Cox came to the walk in support of Walk Across Arizona, a statewide initiative designed to promote walking and other forms of exercise.

“”We want to appeal to diverse groups of people,”” said Linda Block, an associate agent with the Pima County Cooperative Extension. “”All groups need exercise.””

The group took a breather on University Boulevard and Park Avenue as Shelton spoke with a student.

“”I’ve been meaning to start a new exercise regiment, and what better way to begin that than take part in this walk?”” said Rhonda Burnett, assistant director of the Strategic Alternative Learning Techniques Center.

“”President Shelton seems like a relaxing, easy-to-know person,”” said Blanche Swyers, student academic specialist for the graduate college.

Last year, about 20 students attended the walk, Rogers said.

Shelton addressed the importance of exercise for young adults.

“”If young people start exercising regularly early in life, they will develop healthy habits as they age,”” Shelton said.

Swyers said Dianne Horgan, associate dean of the graduate college, supports physical activity.

“”(Horgan) knows I do my stretch band exercises every week, so that’s a block of time I’m not at work,”” Swyers said. “”She is supportive of that, and she knows her employees do better when they get exercise.””

Shelton stayed at the front of the crowd for the duration of the walk.

“”If he does four miles on the elliptical every day, I’m not surprised he’s leading the group,”” Swyers said.