Police Beat: Oct. 7

Minors drinking

A car was pulled over at an intersection near campus after a University of Arizona Police Department officer saw it speeding Saturday at 12:48 a.m. After the officer stopped the car, two of the underaged UA students in the car were found to have consumed alcohol and were under 21 years of age. The two students, a man and a woman, were cited and released to the driver who had been stopped by the UAPD officer due to the fact that he was sober.

At 12:48 a.m. that same night, a UAPD officer stopped the car for speeding and cited the driver after making contact. There were several passengers seated in the front passenger’s compartment and one riding in the back bed area.

The officer contacted two of the subjects, one man who was riding in the front passenger’s compartment and a woman who was in the bed of the pickup truck. Upon contacting them, the officer learned that they were both UA students and both were exhibiting signs and symptoms of intoxication.

The man emitted an odor of alcohol from his breath. The woman spoke to the officer out near the end of the truck, and she appeared to be very intoxicated: her speech was slurred and she exhibited poor balance while standing.

In addition, the woman admitted to drinking. Her breath smelt strongly of alcohol. Both students said they had been at a party; however, the woman could not provide any information about the location or who had purchased the alcohol for the minors.

The man was uncooperative regarding the contact with the officer and admitted to drinking four beers, insisting he had a designated driver. He also refused to give the officer any information about the party’s location or who purchased the alcohol.

Both were cited and released to the driver. No evidence was collected, but code of conducts papers were completed.

Man found on toilet seat covered in vomit

A man was arrested on charges of minor in possession on Saturday at 5 a.m.

At 2:30 a.m. a UAPD officer responded to a medical assist call at one of the residence halls on campus. Upon arrival, he met with a resident assistant on the eighth floor in the men’s bathroom.

Inside the bathroom, a man was seated on a toilet seat covered in vomit. There was also vomit all over the floor surrounding him. The man told the officer that he had been drinking alone in his room. He said he drank about three-quarters of a fifth of vodka.

Tucson Fire Department arrived and evaluated the intoxicated man. They determined that he needed to be transported to University Medical Center for further evaluation.

A short while later, UMC security called UAPD and asked them to respond to the ambulance entrance of UMC because the man was attempting to walk away from the emergency room. The man was then cited and released back to the care of the hospital.

Student witnesses bike theft

An unknown male stole two bicycles and possibly a third from Babcock Residence Hall on Saturday. The bikes were owned by two UA students — one a man’s and one a woman’s.

At 10:14 a.m. that day, a UAPD officer responded to the residence hall. A man who attended the UA as a student called 911, reporting that his friend’s bicycle had just been stolen and the suspect was headed east on Speedway Blvd.

A UAPD officer responded to the location of the incident after the phone call, while several other officers searched the area in an attempt to find the suspect. The officer spoke with both the man, who had reported the incident, and the woman, whose residence hall the man had stayed the night at.

The man told the officer that he had arrived at the woman’s residence hall last night at about 8:30 p.m. He left her residence hall the next morning at about 10:14 a.m. and noticed the man he had described at the bike racks where he had parked his bike, which were located in the middle of the complex. The student said to the suspect, “”Is that your bike?”” The suspect said, “”You saw me unlock it, didn’t you?””

The man said he could see the chain his friend used to lock up her bicycle hanging from the bike frame. The suspect then rode the bike around the building to the south and possibly headed east on Speedway Blvd.

The man said that his black racer bike that had been parked next to his friend’s bike was also stolen. He did not see if the same suspect took both of their bikes or knew exactly when it was stolen.

The officer recommended that they purchase U-Locks for their bikes, which makes them more difficult to steal. The officer searching the area did not make contact with anyone matching the description of the suspect.

As the officer was leaving the location, another UA student flagged him down. He said that at approximately the same time this bike theft occurred, he saw someone matching the description of the suspect. The student said he saw the man drive up to the north bike racks in an SUV and lift a bike onto the back of a vehicle. He did not get a description of the bike and did not see if the male cut the lock off the cable. At this time, it is unclear if this is a third bicycle theft.

An attempt to locate was broadcasted for the suspect, and UA police and Tucson police were both alerted to look out for the SUV.

If the pin fits, steal it

A man who was visiting a UA student was arrested for shoplifting from the UA Bookstore on Saturday at 12:12 a.m.

A UAPD officer was in UofA Bookstore loss prevention retrieving evidence on a different case, when he was alerted by security on a possible shoplifting progress.

The officer then looked on the video screens and observed a man pick up a small item. He then saw that the item seemed to disappear.

Loss prevention agents were able to stop the shoplifter just outside the bookstore’s main doors, where they escorted him back to the first floor conference room. He had left the building with a lapel pin that was not paid for.

The UAPD officer went to the conference room to interview the man, who verbally identified himself. He stated that he didn’t have a driver’s license in any state but had a California State University, San Marcos ID card as well as a bank card that had his name on it. The man had nothing else to verify his date of birth or place of origin. A record’s check found nothing in Calif. or Ariz.

At 12:12 p.m. the officer informed the man that he was under arrest. The man stated that he understood his rights and agreed to answer questions. He also said that he was visiting UA as a guest at one of the dorms and was driving back to California on Sunday.

The man had entered the bookstore with his friend, who was the student with whom he was staying. They were accompanied by two other friends from California.

He stated that he had no intentions of stealing anything form the bookstore when he had first walked in, but then he looked at the pin and “”thought it would look good on his hat.””

The man then pocketed the pin and made his way to the exit not intending to pay for the item. He then stated that once he was outside, he was confronted by security agents and did as they instructed.

The officer handcuffed the man and searched him while informing him that due to not being able to positively identify him, he was being booked into Pima Country Jail.

Two other UAPD officers were on scene and conducted the transportation to booking without incident. A copy of the surveillance video and a copy of the receipt for the lapel pin were also entered as evidence.