Solomon Hill commits to play for ’09 UA men’s basketball team

Solomon Hill
    Solomon Hill

The influence of former Wildcats who went on to shine in the NBA did its magic again.

Solomon Hill, a small forward from Los Angeles Fairfax High School gave a verbal commitment to play for the UA men’s basketball team during the 2009-10 season.

The tradition of the program, which ESPN recently ranked No. 5 its list of most prestigious college basketball schools, is partly what sold Hill.

“”I love Richard Jefferson and Gilbert Arenas, especially Richard Jefferson with him being from the Nets, that’s my favorite team,”” Hill told GOAZCATS.com. “”He (was traded to Milwaukee) but I still really like him.””

Along with getting the pressure off his shoulders, Hill said he announced his verbal commitment because of the reputation that “”Point Guard U,”” even for forwards.

“”Me, my dad and Coach thought it would be the best fit for me being a guard,”” Hill said. “”Their production with shooting guards and small forwards getting to the next level, that’s a big thing for me, especially with coach Lute (Olson) coming back.””

A powerful 2/3 is just what Arizona could use. Hill is a four-star player ranked No. 26 by Rivals.com. The 6-foot-6, 190-pounder joins two other four-star commits for his class in forward Mike Moser and center Greg Smith.

Hill would have been the fourth member of the recruiting class but five-star point guard Abdul Gaddy retracted his verbal commitment on May 26.

“”I played with Moser and Greg Smith,”” Hill said. “”They’re cool guys to play with and are serious about playing basketball.

“”I’ve seen Gaddy play once and from what I’m hearing,”” Hill added, “”he’s a really good point guard so I’m hoping he’ll commit sooner or later, too.””