Block party to celebrate black history

Students, local organizations and Black Entertainment Television comedians will gather tonight to celebrate the end of Black History Month and raise awareness of dangerous diseases with a first-ever block party.

Bringing Legends and Creating Knowledge, a student organization, is hosting Youth: The Next Pandemic from 6 to 10 p.m. on the UA Mall.

“”It only happens once a year so people should come,”” Rebecca Anibueze, president of B.L.A.C.K. and a sophomore majoring in nursing and pre-med, said of the month. “”Year in and year out, people acknowledge Black

History Month but they don’t really do anything about it, so this is our chance to start a legacy for people to continue with.””

Party-goers are encouraged to peruse activities in booths ranging from fraternities and sororities showing off their step talents to corporations such as Microsoft Corp. and Burger King giving out information about their companies and potential job openings.

Comedians from BET will also be performing to highlight the threat of diseases such as HIV, AIDS and lupus to blacks.

Proceeds will go toward a scholarship B.L.A.C.K. intends to create for this fall, Anibueze said.

“”I think it’s a really good way for people to see what is happening in the African-American community in Tucson as well as campus,”” said Candice Tremble, a business senior. “”It is going to be a good time and everyone is out to make sure of that. It should be really fun.””

The party is not intended only for black students, Anibueze said. Students of all races are encouraged to come and see the different performances and booths, as there will be something for everyone to learn.

“”The overall goal is to unite everyone, especially African-Americans,”” Tremble said.

Students can find more information about the event at blackuofa.com.