POLICE BEAT: Best of Police Beat 2017-2018

A+University+of+Arizona+Police+Department+officer+makes+a+call+while+standing+by+near+the+Koffler+building+on+the+UA+campus.+
Alex McIntyre
A University of Arizona Police Department officer makes a call while standing by the Koffler building on the UA campus.

It’s The Thought That Counts (10/30/2017) 

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was called to the UA Bookstore for a shoplifting incident involving a pair of women’s underwear on Oct. 13 at 2 p.m. 

After being caught, the suspect told the officer he had intended to give the underwear to his girlfriend as a gift.

The underwear was white and blue UA women’s cloth underwear priced at $19.99.

Initially, the man brought the item to the cash register area, intending to pay for the item. However, he told officers that he did not have time to wait in line. 

The man proceeded to remove the tag from the underwear and hide the item in his pants pocket. He then left out of the main exit.

The man reported to police that he cooperated when security confronted him in the breezeway about the stolen item.

No damage was done to the item, other than the missing tag. However, the underwear will not go back on display.

The officer cited the man for shoplifting after reading him his Miranda Rights. Additionally, the man was given an exclusionary order to stay out of the bookstore.

RELATED: Police Beat: 12/06/17 

Hazed and Confused (02/01/2018)

A student flagged down a University of Arizona Police Department officer on Feb. 3 inside the Student Union Memorial Center to report his experiences with hazing while rushing the Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity.

Alpha Sigma Phi was officially kicked off campus last semester and is no longer associated with UA. 

The student told the officer that earlier that week, he accepted a bid from the fraternity and was instructed to arrive at the house at exactly 8 p.m.

The fraternity members then made all the pledges shotgun beer while they threw full beer cans at them. Multiple pledges were forced to clean their own vomit. 

The next day, when the student refused to follow an order, one frat member called him a homophobic slur and threatened to fight him. The student left after that.

The officer told the student that because Alpha Sigma Phi is no longer associated with UA, any criminal complaints would have to be made with the Tucson Police Department. 

An FYI notice was sent to the Dean of Students in reference to the fraternity and the actions of its members, who are current UA students.

RELATED: POLICE BEAT 2/19/2018: Hazed and Confused

Who’s There? (01/26/2018) 

Two female Yavapai Residence Hall residents woke up on Jan. 26 to a real nightmare: a stranger in their room. 

The students told a University of Arizona Police Department officer that  2 a.m., they were woken up by a female voice repeatedly saying, “Oh my God, I’m so cold!” 

Each student thought it was the other saying this. Once they started talking to each other, the students realized there was a third girl present in the room.

One of the students grabbed a flashlight and shone it on an unknown girl. The girl immediately rose and ran out of the room, slamming the door closed behind her.

According to the officer, both students seemed very startled by the events. 

The students told the officer they were positive their door was closed and locked.

The officer inspected the door and judged it to be sturdy and secure with no signs of forced entry.

Both students told the officer they felt safe sleeping in the room after testing the door several times. 

The students said they would not press charges if the girl was in the wrong room by accident, but would if they discovered that she was in there intentionally.

RELATED: POLICE BEAT 2/13/18: Strangers in the Night

The Tale of the Piñata Thief (03/01/2018)

An Apache-Santa Cruz resident met with UAPD officers again on March 1 after an investigation into a previous incident led to the discovery of further scandals, including a stolen piñata. 

The Apache-Santa Cruz community director met with an officer to report that a student had stolen a megaphone and a multicolored bull-shaped piñata from his office and he wished to prosecute. 

With the student’s permission the officer entered his room to inspect it. On the student’s desk was a pink highlighter, the same color used to previously vandalize other residents’ doors. 

The student denied writing anything on the doors.

He then speculated that someone had framed him, perhaps one of his fraternity brothers, however he refused name his fraternity or “snitch.”

The student was wearing a Theta Chi shirt. 

The officer then asked the student about the piñata and megaphone. 

He did not know where the piñata came from, but that it probably showed up sometime last night.

The student insisted that the megaphone was not stolen, but that he’d found it in one of the three garages that the fraternity owns. 

A check of the megaphones at neighboring halls revealed that they were exact matches to the one found in the student’s room.

The officer cited the student for theft and released him.

Follow Vanessa Ontiveros on Twitter