“Adult toy store caters, pleases ‘kids’ of all ages, backgrounds”

Jack Mattern vaguely remembers his toy collection.

“”Star Wars,”” the pre-pharmacy freshman said hesitantly. He soon remembers.

There were 20 action figures, an Imperial shuttle, a X-wing and a T-1 Skyhooper. He also had some Power Rangers scattered in there, too.

Mattern’s friend, Dylan Breternitz, an undeclared freshman, collected Legos – tons of legos.

“”I used to keep them all together in some 50-gallon drum,”” Breternitz said.

“”You should donate them,”” Mattern said to him.

Breternitz has other ideas: hold on to the Legos and sell them for profit.

But both agree on one thing: they haven’t picked up their toys in years. The last time Breternitz constructed a pirate ship or a distant planet’s spacehub was at age 8. Mattern said his mother got rid of his toys around second grade.

But the desire to pick a toy up is still there.

“”I was in a toy store the other day, when I was bored, and thought: ‘I could probably get some Legos and put something together'”” Breternitz said.

But he didn’t. They’re too expensive, he said, and he’s a bit too old.

Near the southwest corner of the UA campus at 439 N. Sixth Ave. is a toy store where all ages converge – Lulubell Toy Bodega.

“”Some of the best conversations I’ve had are with 7-year-old kids in here, even with 70-year-old kids,”” Luke Rook said.

Rook is the owner of Lulubell. He collects toys, and he’s 30.

The toys he latched on to aren’t what you’d expect to find in a Target or Wal-mart. Rook collects mind-blowing concoctions from artists spanning the entire globe.

“”Now, there’s a lot of people who just have to have this monster exist,”” he said while pulling down a figure from the shelf of his cluttered office.

The figure is tentatively titled “”Bust Monster.”” Its head is a pair of breasts. But it’s not meant to objectify women, Rook said, adding that it’s simply a combination of all that is great in the world: monsters and the female form.