Arizona-Sonora bests Coronado in 4th-annual Battle of Towers

The “”Star Wars IV””-inspired theme on the T-shirts was appropriate, as underdog Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall gained “”a new hope”” in the fourth-annual Battle of the Towers.

Arizona-Sonora beat Coronado Residence Hall after three straight losses. The event took place yesterday outside the Park Student Union.

The competition between the UA campus’ two largest residence halls fosters a sense of competition while encouraging residents to get to know people from their own hall – and from the enemy’s.

“”You get to bond with people from Coronado you don’t see all the time,”” said Alecia Thomas, a pre-education sophomore and Coronado resident.

“”It’s kind of nice making friends, because you have to practice with someone for the obstacle course,”” Thomas said.

Hanford Kwong, a molecular and cellular biology junior and Arizona-Sonora resident said, “”It gets everyone together – I love it. Five of us from my wing (participated).””

There were nine challenges: a relay race, tug-of-war, a relay eating contest, Slip ‘n Slide, an obstacle course, “”Tower Idol”” trivia and a spelling bee. More than 70 residents from both halls attended.

It was unclear if Arizona-Sonora could muster up a win, as Coronado dominated most of the events at the beginning.

“”Volleyball was the turning point,”” said Tim Verdick, a resident assistant at Arizona-Sonora and physics senior who helped plan the event.

“”It was a team effort and we won the last three events to make a comeback,”” Verdick said.

Verdick said the competition extends beyond the annual event and begins during RA training in the summer, with lots of trash-talking the whole year between the two halls’ staffs – all in good fun, of course.

The spelling bee, which was Verdick’s idea, was the tiebreaker and the winning word was “”guillotine.””

Donovan Davis, an engineering management senior and Arizona-Sonora RA, said he felt proud of the victory.

“”It was a hard-fought battle with worthy adversaries, but in the end, AZ-SO emerged victorious,”” Donovan said.

The winning hall gets the Battle of the Towers trophy, which is displayed in the winning hall each year.

Coronado residents were vocal about losing the last challenge and are counting on winning the trophy back next year.

“”It’s Coronado’s trophy, and we’re happy to let them borrow it,”” said Lillian Rodich, a nutritional sciences freshman.

“”This is ridiculous,”” said Megan Thomas, a pre-education freshman, after the loss.

Verdick said he is torn because next year he will be an RA at Coronado. But for now, he is happy and already has plans to celebrate the victory.

“”I’m so excited,”” Verdick said. “”We’re going to have a party!””