ASUA to voice opinion on budget

ASUA is expected to vote on opposing budget cuts from the Arizona Legislature as well bans on ethnic studies programs at the meeting on Wednesday.

Drafted by Sen. Dominick San Angelo, the proposed statement of opposition to increased state budget cuts to higher education says that a budget cut would be appropriate but that the one proposed would “”tread on the provisions of the Arizona State Constitution”” because the constitution requires higher education be “”as nearly free as possible.””

The statement concludes with the Associated Students of the University of Arizona Senate expressing the “”strongest possible opposition to the irresponsible, drastic and damaging funding reduction proposed by the Arizona State Legislature.””

The other drafted statement of opposition on the table is for the ethnic studies law, formerly House Bill 2281, and efforts to ban ethnic studies curriculum.

The ethnic studies law bans programs that are for specific ethnic groups that advocate solidarity instead of treatment of pupils as individuals, promote the overthrow of the U.S. government or encourage resentment toward a race or class of people.

The statement proposes that this ban could also have repercussions for ethnic studies at the university level and urges the repeal of the ethnic studies law.